• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why cant yahoo touch ebay?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lionsault_100

Why cant yahoo auctions even touch ebay? on paper its a better site?

everything is free, they have real fraud protection, the number 1 most visited site on the world is linked to them,

why hasnt yahoo replaced ebay yet?

yahoo inc has a much larger presence on the internet than ebay, i'm sure if the commerce started customer service would be up to par, what am i missing that makes it so yahoo can't even hold ebay's jockstrap?

Nexus Realized said:
Maybe alot of people who have built rep on eBay don't want to start fresh :shrug:

That's my thinking as well. I know I still use ebay because I have a decent amount of sales there and get top dollar for my items.

Pinky said:
That's my thinking as well. I know I still use ebay because I have a decent amount of sales there and get top dollar for my items.

but thats the point, you use ebay because thats where the buyers are, so more people to fight for your stuff.

why hasnt the whole market shifted? do you think it will ever happen? because like i said on paper yahoo is a better site

Well, yes, I would think that anyone who is primarily selling would want to keep his feedback centralized. But another thing is that the whole system depends on the buyers as well.

If I wanted to create a new account for selling stuff, I would have an incentive to go to the largest site that attracts the most potential buyers. But if I want to buy stuff, I also want to go to where the best deals are to be had. Again that favors the larger system as there is a better chance of finding deals. However, the reason that I favor ebay over yahoo is that yahoo has that thing about not actually closing auctions if there is any bidding near the closing time.

Of course if yahoo wants to be known as a “seller friendly” community that is their choice. But that makes it harder to get the best deals there and that is going to bias the community toward the professional seller who wants to make the most money.

However, by allowing snipers Ebay is more open to the bargain hunter. It is of course more of a risk to the seller but sales volume probably counts more than the occasional loss to sniping. Then too, if you have a house full of stuff and you want more cash than you can get from having a tag sale in your front yard, do you care all that much if someone only pays half to three quarters of the retail price for a given item?

Also, if a seller wants to minimize losses to snipers, they can manage their auctions by starting them at a fairly high price or by insisting on usurious shipping charges. That tends to discourage the snipers but at the risk of not getting buyers in the first place. Yahoo on the other hand automatically protects sellers by holding auctions open if two or three people are really trying to win a given auction.

Maybe because there not advertising? I had no idea Yahoo had an auction site. Maybe if they started a campaign; kinda like the 'it' commercials for ebay.

^ you're right, more people go to yahoo.com then any other site, but they give the auctions section next to NO publicity, VERY bad move. yahoo won't be number 1 for much longer so they better start using that number one position to their advantage while theyve still got it

as far as centralized feedback goes, that makes sense, but with one placed ad blitz do you think sellers would flock to yahoo for dual membership? and then ebay will just fade away?

Nathan0490 said:
I wanna see Google Auctions :)
i doubt google would ever do that

they would get neg feedback when people get screwed :p

Googles Motto

"Dont be evil"

Kind of like iPods. iPods are more popular than any MP3 player out there, but certainly isn't the best bang for your buck, in my book at least, yet everyone has them....

Back