• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

worth replacing my apogee for a storm?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toddm27

is it worth it to replace my apogee waterblock with a storm waterblock, I bought the apogee when I was running a dual core chip and I've gone back to a single core chip and was wondering how much of a difference there really is between the two and if its worth it to buy a storm and sell the apogee, I already have to open the system as I'm adding a 2nd gpu block into the loop so it wouldn't be a big deal. but is it worth the extra dough? :shrug:

If it were me I would pry keep the apogee, changing to a storm probably wouldn't have a big enough impact on temps to make it worth while.
At any rate, the storm is a nice block.

citronym said:
If it were me I would pry keep the apogee, changing to a storm probably wouldn't have a big enough impact on temps to make it worth while.
At any rate, the storm is a nice block.
thats kind of what I thought but I also thought while I had it tore down I would ask this question as when I initially looked at the 2 blocks the storm didn't seem worth it as it was 2 times the cost and the apogee was suposedly better for dual core chips, I got the apogee for 35 shipped.

toddm27 said:
thats kind of what I thought but I also thought while I had it tore down I would ask this question as when I initially looked at the 2 blocks the storm didn't seem worth it as it was 2 times the cost and the apogee was suposedly better for dual core chips, I got the apogee for 35 shipped.

*edit* the whole deal is that they changed the test set up a lot to get the apogee to 'perform better' than the storm. theyre both good blocks, but the storm is supposed to hold load temps 2-6c cooler from what ive read, but ymmv

No dealing outside the classifieds

Last edited by a moderator:
if you can find the storm i think its worth it. Even if you add another gpu block to the loop your radiator and pump can handle it without any problems.

thanks for the input, I'll probably be taking the ihs off my 144 as it doesn't cost near as much as my 165 and I am a performance junkie, so I may look into getting a storm then

now the question is, where can you find a source for the Storm, it appears to be out of stock everywhere.

Even if you don't like it you could probally sell it in the Classifieds for more then what you paid, being they're never instock anywhere else.

70 shipped for a new storm is a great price....places started selling this block for like 85 bucks and higher once the stock got scarce....cograts on the great find.

NoodleHead said:
70 shipped for a new storm is a great price....places started selling this block for like 85 bucks and higher once the stock got scarce....cograts on the great find.

It was a new one he paid $70 shipped for? If so, where?

Back