• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what cpu in a laptop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moneyownzall

Registered
well ive always been a big amd fan. But im looking into getting a laptop and the majority of the laptops are intel.

Now what cpu should i go with?

What do you want out of a laptop? The intel pentium-m chips have a greatt performance/watt ratio, and really are good laptop chips. If battery life is important go with one of those. If battery life is important, and you're cheap, look for something via c3 based.

My personal experience would say go with a pentium -m notebook. If you can with your budget, yonah would be nice too (but might not quite get the same batterylife). I have had a notebook with a mobile A64, but not with the turions. Still, it seems manufacturers are targeting A64 notebooks towards the lower end of their offerings (quality-wise).

www.notebookforums.com has allways served me well with notebook related questions.

I was in the market a few months back and ended up going with a pentium m dell because they had a 40% off coupon for their 600m laptops. I got it shipped for something like $720 and it's been great so far. I hear at low loads the new Turions offer comparable battery life to the pentium m's but at load they draw the battery down a bit more. Considering most activities aside from encoding or gaming would be at a relatively idle state, you should not rule them out as a contender for battery life

Also, battery life is also heavily dependant on what battery type and how many cells the manufacturer puts in their computers. A large bright LCD will also draw considerably more power as well. My recommendation would be to read some reviews of any notebooks that interest you and see what the real-world battery life is

i found a pretty good deal, tell me if this is good or not

base system=compaq presario v2000
cpu=intel celeron m 370 (1.5g)
screen=14" wxga widescreen
hdd=40 gb
ram=512mb
batt. 6 cell lithium ion

and some other non important stuff all for 540 after alot of rebates

also wat would be the estimated batt life?

Celeron? Ehhh depends I regularly hear about an hour and a half for most people. I've also heard many a story closer to just one hour and also many closer to 2.

but if it is in use for short periods of time then put on sleep mode till i need it again "i will use this alot for school" will it drain it pretty fast?

If you have the option, take a pentium -m over the celeron... turion as well. Celeron is about bottom of the barrel for mobile chips nowadays.

No no no, that is the pentium-m celeron. It has much better performance. It does lack some power-saving feature I think, I could be wrong. I know people who have desktop celeron laptops, and they are complete pieces of crap.

The "celeron-m"s still suck. Its what all the cheapy lappys for like 400-500 bucks at any BB use and they surely aren't getting more than 2 hours of battery life.

The performance of the celeron -m is not that bad comparing to the pentium -m, but it's lacking _all_ powersaving features. Considering pentium -m processors are cheap today, I would not get the celeron if batterylife matters at all.

Back