• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800GS overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KlinkB

I'm starting to overclock my 6800gs, and I'm not really sure whats "safe". I have stock cooling on it and i have it running at 450/1030. When I play source the temps are between 45 and 50. What temps are safe? What numbers do you think I should stop at? I'm looking to get a NV5 silencer but until then..

Try downloading the coolbits registry tweak for your nvidia driver and check out the 'detect optimal frequencies' to give you a baseline to work from.
Is your card agp or pci-e? EDIT: I am guessing from the mobo in your sig that its pci-e...

Cheers.

I'm not really sure how your processor stacks up without a compare link but at stock clocks on CPU/GPU my system scored around 5600. Here is my best compare with specs as they are in my sig. http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1798121
I just looked and my old system with a LGA 775 Celeron D 3.06@3220Mhz, Geil value ram PC3200 (512x2), and my 6800GS@530/1200 scored 5413 so I would say your score is a little low. And my card has no volt mods and it's on stock cooling. I run it at 534/1250 everyday. Temps are @30-35 idle full load 3D @65.

Klink please post a compare URL. Most systems with 6800GS' PCI-e score around 6000. Keep tweaking and you should get there. Gabkicks that is a very respectable score for your system. Those Semprons are a great budget processor as the Celeron D's are. I have seen Semprons overclocked in the 2.7-2.8Ghz range that beat comparable Athlon 64's.

i dont have a url to post :X but for some reason when i oc my processor to 2ghz my computer gets choppy and my fps and scores drop?? :shrug: do you know why it does that?

KlinkB said:
i just hit 5822 with lower core and memory speeds

The law of diminishing returns come into play here... bigger (numbers) not always better. You have to just keep tweaking until you find the sweet spot.

Cheers.

I don't know much about AMD chips but I would think a 3000+ is the weak link in your system. Also I think your CPU is not stable if it performs worse in benches at higher clocks. I would think that it is getting hot. If you go to 3Dmark.com and go to the ORB section and click project manager you can find your compare link. It would help us greatly in finding what's holding you back. Also are you on stock cooling?

Doesn't matter what it ides at... matters what the temp is under load. My CPU temps are around 29-30 and under load they go to 60-65 degrees. Depending on the bench I run it at 3750mhz in 06', 3825 in 05', and 3900mhz in 01'. That is the max clock my processor is stable at in those benches. I have a Zalman 9500, with the Intel HSF my chip would idle @32-35 but under a load at 3200mhz it would go well past 70 degrees and shut the system down. All those temps are with case temps around 25 degrees.

Not sure what your cooling is like, is it copper or aluminum? My XFX card has a copper HS over the core then the stock bar over the ram chips, XFX is stock at 485/1100 so you should be safe around there.

Back