• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't record/listen to turntable input on audiophile2496 (Arch)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eNightmare

I would like to set up my computer where I can record and listen to my turntables through my computer. However, there is no sound output. I checked the cables and they seem to be functional, I checked the sound of the computer, and the mixer seperately, and they both worked. I have an maudio audiophile2496. It seems like knoppix set this up for me a really long time ago, but I obviously don't use knoppix anymore, and that was onboard sound.

First, yiou will need a RIAA Phono Pre-Amp to bring the Phono to the correct amplitude and to add the correct complimentary EQ curve. The M-Audio 24/96 has standard Line Inputs, not "RIAA Phono Inputs" - so unless your Turntable already has the RIAA EQ and Preamp built in (not likely) you will need another box. You can aso use a Home Reciever with a Turntable input. Go from the Turntable to the Reciever's Phono input. Select Phono on the reciever. Go out from the recievers' "Tape Loop Send" or "Record Output" into the 24/96 card. That will do :)

Second, assign your Outputs 1/2 to the MONITOR MIXER in the M-Audio Control Panel. This will allow you to monitor the RCA Inputs through your speakes, as well as hearing your PC's output through the SAME speakers (you will now have seperate sliders for the Hardware Input 1/2, and the Wave Input from the PC that are "Mixed" in the Montor Mixer, and then fed to the Speakers). Whatever your recording software is, you will need to select "HW 1/2" (Hardware Inputs 1/2 - the RCA inputs) to record the Turntable.

OT: I STILL have not found any way to control the 24/96's Master Volume from any Keyboard or Remote. Have you? It is one of the mosty annoying things IMO, but the card is great for 2 channel Audio...

:cool:

Randyman... said:
First, yiou will need a RIAA Phono Pre-Amp to bring the Phono to the correct amplitude and to add the correct complimentary EQ curve. The M-Audio 24/96 has standard Line Inputs, not "RIAA Phono Inputs" - so unless your Turntable already has the RIAA EQ and Preamp built in (not likely) you will need another box. You can aso use a Home Reciever with a Turntable input. Go from the Turntable to the Reciever's Phono input. Select Phono on the reciever. Go out from the recievers' "Tape Loop Send" or "Record Output" into the 24/96 card. That will do :)

Will the turntable mixer not work? It's like a cheap numark mixer

Randyman... said:
OT: I STILL have not found any way to control the 24/96's Master Volume from any Keyboard or Remote. Have you? It is one of the mosty annoying things IMO, but the card is great for 2 channel Audio...

>> alsamixer ??

Turntable Mixer will work fine as a Phono Pre-Amp.

M-Audio officially told me there is NO WAY to control their mixer other than with the Mouse :( . I'll check what alsamixer is - as I have no clue...

Randyman... said:
Second, assign your Outputs 1/2 to the MONITOR MIXER in the M-Audio Control Panel. This will allow you to monitor the RCA Inputs through your speakes, as well as hearing your PC's output through the SAME speakers (you will now have seperate sliders for the Hardware Input 1/2, and the Wave Input from the PC that are "Mixed" in the Montor Mixer, and then fed to the Speakers). Whatever your recording software is, you will need to select "HW 1/2" (Hardware Inputs 1/2 - the RCA inputs) to record the Turntable.

Wait a minute: that sounds like windows talk. any way to get this working in linux?

Back