• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No Sound suddenly!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bogmat

Hello,

Hope every one is safe in these times around the world.

ill start with the hardware.
Tritton 720+ gaming headphones. 7.1 emulated controller using Optical SPDIF

Windows 10
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 Intel Z97 Motherboard
Intel i7-4790k

all was working fine, i had decided to record some Eve, so i had downloaded OBS and Openshot. tried Openshot and decided it wasnt for me and uninstalled. (why i added this in because of the sound settings and it was the last things i was doing for the night)
At this point sound is still working. i messed around with Discord sound settings to show overlay in-game etc as within Openshot, sound wasn't playing in the created video.
Sound was working in Discord ingame everything was fine.
I left my PC for the night.
This morning i woke to a bluescreen error on my pc. (sorry i have no info on the error)
Once restarted no sound.

i have uninstalled the drivers for the headset. and reinstalled, i have also reinstalled the Realtek drivers.
i checked the settings within Realtek and windows for the headset, no jack information was displayed. as if it wasnt picking up the SPDIF output.
the headphones are still working.... to a point. i can attach a 3.5mm adapter so i can use them as normal headphones, i tested this on a tablet for sound, they worked. The emulator is powered and all is plugged in.
i tried to plug in other headphones and these into a 3.5mm jack to the PC but i couldn't get any sound, hence im thinking this is a PC/ setting/ Motherboard issue.

Im a little lost. (currently writing this at work) once home i will try to get sound from a 3.5mm jack port to eliminate total loss of sound, although unsuccessful this morning, although using the front port on my case not the direct rear port. (i did however get the notification from Realtek identifying new hardware inserted into a headphone jack. but no sound playing.)

Apart from a full windows reinstall as a drastic measure to eliminate any corrupt files. is there anything else i can do?
Is there any testing i can do for the motherboard to confirm there is an issue with the motherboard producing sound or will it most likely be a driver or file issue?

Hope someone can help.
Thanks.

Yes. Roll back the system to a date that is shortly before the date the trouble started. In the Windows search tool, type "Create a Restore Point" and click on that setting option. Once in that settings window, there will also be an option to pick a restore point. This operation will restore the system to precisely how it was at the date you choose and has the advantage of not only removing all leftover elements of the software you installed and uninstalled but will also remove any Windows updates that could have caused the problem. This assumes that this feature is not disabled. Early on after Windows 10 was release it was automatically disabled but subsequent feature updates have fixed that. So it is likely enabled unless you purposely disabled it or some virus did.

If this doesn't work I assume the audio chip on the motherboard has given up the ghost.

Yes. Roll back the system to a date that is shortly before the date the trouble started. In the Windows search tool, type "Create a Restore Point" and click on that setting option. Once in that settings window, there will also be an option to pick a restore point. This operation will restore the system to precisely how it was at the date you choose and has the advantage of not only removing all leftover elements of the software you installed and uninstalled but will also remove any Windows updates that could have caused the problem. This assumes that this feature is not disabled. Early on after Windows 10 was release it was automatically disabled but subsequent feature updates have fixed that. So it is likely enabled unless you purposely disabled it or some virus did.

If this doesn't work I assume the audio chip on the motherboard has given up the ghost.

Thank you for your replay Trents,
I didnt think of a restore, but this worked. i now have working sound.
Much appreciated, saved a little money not having to replace anything.

Thanks.

Back