• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Router to WAP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ventis

Hello again OCforums, I got a question,
is it possible to change my Netgear wpn824 router to act as a WAP. By using static routes or something, i just don't have the money right now to buy a WAP

I'm using smoothwall in my network so this should be the same concept, this is my network
mynetwork.jpg

Darn it won't work, anyways i basically have it like this. already, jsut the router itself isn't letting aything through. Unless its the smoothwall

you using the WAN / internet port of the router? the router (wireless, now used as an AP) should be connected to the actual routing device via a computer port, one of the numbered ones. make sure you have changed the IP so it isnt same as smoothwall, and turn off its dhcp server. then from there it should work, might wanna disable any upnp in it and anything like that.

Smoothwall defaults to a 192.168.0.x network as the netgear is 192.168.1.x You need to change the netgear to be 192.168.0.x (2 on the last octet)

I placed a mod on Smoothwall's orange that will enable dhcp on that side of the firewall. The gren interfaces start on 192.168.0.1 and orange are on 192.168.1.1
The router is set at 192.168.1.3 and goes too 192.168.1.10, I'm not using the WAN port on the router and internet works on everything, the orange just can't reach the smoothwall. Router is holding it back

Back