• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help w/A7N8XE-D & XP-M 2500+ (wire mod)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mopedmaster

I decided to do a bit of upgrading to my system this week and I've picked up an XP-M 2500+ and a liquid cooling rig.

I had a Vantec Aeroflow II thrown on it for the first day I had the chip, got 2500mhz at 1.7v @ 49C. I threw the liquid cooling setup on last night, and I decided I would try to push it above a 13x multiplier.. Obviously I ran into a brick wall there because of the 4bit/5bit issue.

So I did the wire mod.. And if I bring my system bus down to 100 or 133 then it boots up just fine, 166 or 200, I get a black screen and have to powercycle it so that it will reset the cpu settings.

My question is, should I be able to do 166 or 200mhz fsb using the wire mod on this board? Any ideas on what multiplier setting to start with (13x?) if so?

If going to 166/200fsb is not feasible, then wouldn't I see a performance decrease from clocking it to say 133x20 (2700mhz)? I'm not sure it would be worth the extra ~200mhz if I have to kick the bus speed down, I'm thinking I may do better to turn the fsb up a bit. 210mhz would give me a little over 2600, 220mhz would give me 2750, etc..

Any advice?

btw.. I'm running 2500mhz, 1.7v @ 44C (case temp is 28-30C).. I have a little more efficient waterblock coming later this week and there are still a few fine air bubbles in the system to work themselves out.

Thanks,
Rob
http://www.myvento.net

:welcome: to the forums

You would definitely do better to push the FSB. From my experiences, the Asus boards get to about 230 before they hit their limit.

Back