• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with molex wiring.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Perfect

I'm trying to splice a fan into a molex conector, but am having trouble. I've sucessfully backed the molex's pins out of the plastic housing, but I haven't been able to open up the little metal clamps that hold the wires in the pins. What do you guys use to open these things? :eh?:

It's tough and thus not generally done. If you find a set of micro pick tools, you may be able to do it.

Most folks will cut the wires and leave the pins on. Wires are much easier to splice.

The best option is to buy pins (available most modding stores like performance-pcs) and crimp them yourself with a crimping tool or needle nose pliers.

navig

another very easy task to do is to solder the fan's wires on top of the metal clamps that are holding the existing wire. It's a very simple solder job, probably only takes a few minutes for multiple fans.

You're right, these things are damn near impossible. I had to swap some uncrimped pins out of a pass-through connector.

what i usually do is just cut the plastic off the wire, attach my fan wires and tape up :)

Mr. Perfect said:
I'm trying to splice a fan into a molex conector, but am having trouble. I've sucessfully backed the molex's pins out of the plastic housing, but I haven't been able to open up the little metal clamps that hold the wires in the pins. What do you guys use to open these things? :eh?:

Next time, eye glasses screw drivers.

holdandpry7ly.jpg

openclose7ce.jpg

Just stick the fan wires under those tabs before your crimp it again. The other clamps higher up, don't look open-able. :p

Nice pics. very well done.

For gettin those buggers off / out,
I use a plain old diaper pin and patience.

Do it on or against a hard surface & take your time.

A couple of the other suggestions sounded good too.

Soldier it onto the pin, but if you blub up the job, it may not fit back into the connector. :(

Crimp it using the other 2 tabs, may not make a good strong connection either.

You could always strip the wire a little where the wires go into the pin,
and soldier there, or keep trying to get the other crimps open.

I've done it, & have thought if it was worth it or not, but in the end,
I won, and did think it was worth it.

GL

:attn:

Back