• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Call Me Crazy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jtjuska

Alrighty, all I want is simple... but hasnt been done before to the best of my knowledge. I would like to find some 1/2 inch inlet hard drive coolers. I would also like to find the same thing for a pair of dvd drives. The loop currently consists of a whitewater, a maze 4 on a 7800GTX, then I would like to cool the hard drives and the DVD drives almost need it (2 drives that get VERY warm after an hour of use). I would appreciate any pointers and links people can provide.

Thank you

~jtjuska

-edited for correction

danger den makes the aquadrive which is really nice (http://www.dangerdenstore.com/home.php?cat=74). I just got one but haven't even hooked it up yet. Asetek also makes some half inch inlet coolers, but I think the DD looks like a much more solid design. The thing is really kind of heavy.

Don't get the one linked above from Sidewinder- I have them now and they are very restrictive as they have only 5/16" tubing between the two halves. Also, they are anodized aluminum.

I don't know that I would watercool DVD drives, although i can see that with really heavy use they could warm up. But DVD drives should be just fine as is. Watercooling hard drives though makes a lot of sense to me as I can't afford to loose my data and would like to keep my hard drives cool.

pwnt by pat said:
You're crazy.

no point in cooling DVD drive for sure, HDD will do fine without, especially if the rest of your computer is watercooled (low case temp).

for fun, tell use your reasoning. "for fun" is an acceptable answer :thup:

good luck though!

After about an hour of constant use the drives slow down to about a max of 4x and the DVD's come out of the drive hot to the touch This isn't my computer but a friends. I am just the one that took care of the WC loop. The hard drives are fine, but wanted a good block on them.

Thanks for the responses, ill look into it!

~jtjuska

Cooling hardrives is reasonable, as they will occasionally die from heat, however, I don't think any one even makes (or could make) a DVD drive cooler because DVD drives are already 51/4" if you put anything on the sides of them they won't fit in the racks anymore. Also It would almost certainly be cheaper and much less hassle to buy a new DVD drive than waterblocks and extra tubing plus the added restriction to the loop.

So in IMHO, I say if you ( or your friend) really wants to you can cool the hardrives. I wouldn't though, I think a simple fan is more than enough to keep them cool. Secondly, if you are still having problems with the DVD drive then get a new one for $80 from a reputable company.

watercooling my hard drives vs having them sitting in front of an intake fan knocked about 7c off of their temps, and that is using some pretty restrictive blocks. I have seen many a hard drive die because of heat, and drive temps can get too high very easily. I think that most people that say that watercooling hard drives is a waste have never done so.

As for the DVD drives, it sounds like there is a lack of airflow issue going on there.

jtjuska said:
After about an hour of constant use the drives slow down to about a max of 4x and the DVD's come out of the drive hot to the touch This isn't my computer but a friends. I am just the one that took care of the WC loop. The hard drives are fine, but wanted a good block on them.

~jtjuska

are you sure the media supports faster writing? maybe the drive is crappy?

jtjuska said:

~jtjuska
thats normal mine get a lil past warm to the touch, bs water cooling the dvd drive isnt gona cool the cd them selves

the problem with them is that after they get really toasty they drop from about 12x to 4x. He is using 2 Plextor SATA dvd burners and loves the drives, but they just get too warm and slow themselves down. I have never actually witnessed it, but I trust my friend to tell the truth.

~jtjuska

Back