• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for first water setup--Advice Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Merlin13

I'm looking to buy a new watercooling setup for my new AMD-939 based rig. I will have an:
X2 3800+ (ordered) 2 GB G. Skill GBHZ (ordered) Tagan 580 (ordered) DFI LP Ultra-D OR A8R-MVP OR Grouper and an Antec P160 OR Chenming 601.
I've been looking at lots of wc parts around all kinds of places, however, my budget is around $200 and I can't seem to piece together a decent kit for that amount. I really want to DIY, but I've also looked at the DD Maze4 Power Kit, which fits the budget however is not as good as what I could do.
Anyone have any advice on how to make a DECENT water kit for about $200+-? I'll need to cool the CPU, and possibly the GPU as well (X800XT).

Advice on which case to choose for all this is MUCH appreciated as well.

Thanks.

lets see...
Pump- danner mag 3 ~$50
Radiator- Black Ice Xtreme III~$50
Cpu Block- Swiftech Apogee ~$40
Gpu Block- Maze 4 ~$40
Tubing, clamps and Fittings ~$20

There you go, $200 before shipping

I would recommend buying a 1986 chevette heatercore or a larger 77 bonniville heatercore and moding it for your watercooling setup. There is a guide in the watercooling stickies section on how to do it. This way you save alot of money on the radiator, and these heatercores perform much better than the PC made radiators like the BIX. These are the parts I would recommend

CPU waterblock: swiftech storm (if you have the budget) if not go for something like the apogee
Heatercore: 86 chevette or 77 bonnieville (the bonnie is larger)
SLI GPU waterblocks (if ur going sli): Danger den low profile maze 4
pump: Danger den D5 or the Swiftec mcp655

Have I left anything out here:
Apogee
14 ft ClearFlex
MCP655
MCR220 QF
2xYate Loon 120mm
Ceramique
10 clamps
1 t-fitting
Fillport
Zerex
Would that be all I would need.

Well it would depend on if you are going with a SLI video card setup or not and if you plan on watercooling the video cards. I would not recommend the fans that you are using. You want to go with at least 50 CFM on the 120mm fans. I personally would recommend the panaflow "low" fans or any of the other higher cfm models. Panaflow low's have 68.9cfm and if the noise is too loud for you, you can always purchase a fan controller to lower the speed of the fans. It's always best to overshoot the CFM rating on your watercooling heatercore fans so that you have the option of controling the noise/cooling with a fan controller.

You might also want to pick up some uv dye and 12" cold cathodes for the bling factor, but that's purely just asthetics. :)

AlanD911 said:
Well it would depend on if you are going with a SLI video card setup or not and if you plan on watercooling the video cards. I would not recommend the fans that you are using. You want to go with at least 50 CFM on the 120mm fans. I personally would recommend the panaflow "low" fans or any of the other higher cfm models. Panaflow low's have 68.9cfm and if the noise is too loud for you, you can always purchase a fan controller to lower the speed of the fans. It's always best to overshoot the CFM rating on your watercooling heatercore fans so that you have the option of controling the noise/cooling with a fan controller.

You might also want to pick up some uv dye and 12" cold cathodes for the bling factor, but that's purely just asthetics. :)
Hmmmm....I'll look at the Panaflos now. I will never be going with SLi/CF, that is set right now. :)
I might watercool my X800XT at some point in time.

In that case what you have posted looks good. What heatercore are you going to be using for your setup?

AlanD911 said:
In that case what you have posted looks good. What heatercore are you going to be using for your setup?
Either a dual 120mm from DangerDen or possibly a Swiftech MCR220. I'll mod a shroud for the heatercore if I get it.

AlanD911 said:
No problems. If you have any other questions I will be more than happy to help you out.
Any advice on the case. I'm looking at the Chenming 601 Server, the Antec P160, and the centurion 532.

Back