• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need faster memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big_Baller

OK so I have finnaly upgraded my system.

I got a Opty 165,
Abit Kn8-Sli mobo (sli just in case not right now)
geforce 7800gt

I am using my old Kingston HyperX 3500 (cas 2) memory. I thought it would be enough but I havn't been able to overclock at much, at lease as much as I thought.

Perhaps it is my voltage's or something, but my ram dosn't like going over 217 to my knowledge so 9 x 217 = not quiet 2ghz.

Do I need to upgrade my ram to get a better overclock? Anyone with much exp overclocking on the KN8-SLI?

Just use a memory divider. Drop it as low as it will go to see how far your CPU will go.

Mate, just be systematic with anything you do. I'd recommend OC'ing the CPU first, whilst the RAM is out of the equation. Once your CPU is fully optimized, attack the RAM. I say this because the stability of your RAM is creitally dependent on the stability of your CPU.

Good Luck!

S-N

Use a really low divider to take the RAM out of the equation first (As SN said). If you don't, you have no idea if the problem is the CPU or the RAM.
RAM should not affect the OCability of the CPU.

although try running with only 1 stick, i was having problems getting past 2.75ghz now burning in at 2.8 after taking 1 stick out.

I don't know your board, but it won't say divider. It will be somewhere in the memory settings with the timings and look like, 200(400) (default), 166(133), 133(266), 100(200). For instance, the 100(200) will divide the memory speed in half.

I need help with this too. Even though i drop my mem divider, i still can't get it past 220

is it because i have crappy pc3200 ddr400 kingston value ram?

OK thanks a lot guys.

With the Kn8 you have to go to DRAM configuration and select the frequency. DDR 266,333,400 and so on. Things are a little different these days since my 2600xp :D

Coming to you stable at 2700mhz @ 1.4v. I will try and push it further later. Also I think I might be able to drop the voltages a little.

That's very good for a 165. Is that 24 hr prime stable? Mine needs 1.45 at 2.7

Back