• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Creative X-FI static

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RobxMcCarthy

Hmm, this is weird, but I think my X-fi might be generating some static distortion in my headphones. Currently my computer is not in a case but rather on a foam pad + ESD bag on my desk. I'm wondering if there could be some grounding issues in this setup cuasing the static problems. Is this the case? Thanks.

RobxMcCarthy said:
Hmm, this is weird, but I think my X-fi might be generating some static distortion in my headphones. Currently my computer is not in a case but rather on a foam pad + ESD bag on my desk. I'm wondering if there could be some grounding issues in this setup cuasing the static problems. Is this the case? Thanks.

I've heard of problems similar to this, happens to me every once in a while as well as getting loud cracks and pops sometimes. It's def driver related, because I recently blew away my XP install and started from scratch and have not experienced the same cracks, screaches ect. The static occurs sometimes though and ususally a restart takes care of it, I suggest going over to the creative forums and reading through there, alot of good info.

Try switching the PCI slot to either closest to the video card or furthest away from the video card. I had the same issue you are describing and I simply moved it to a different PCI slot. Initially make sure the card is properly seated the way it is right now. It worked for me, has been a known solution for a while but your problem could be completely different and not stemming from the PCI bus.

Good luck!

Dom

Yea same problem with my as well, but a computer restart usually fixes it.

If it was ESD then your card could be damaged permanently.

Well the thing is when nothing is playing there's no static. But at certain frequency combinations there's a static ("crackling") noise in my headphones. I initially thought it was a problem with the phones themselves, however, I recently tried them on another source and to my amazement...no crackle. The noise isn't that abrasive, however it's definitely present and causes distortion.

I recently blew away windows...Three times. Which did not resolve the issue. (didn't do it for that reason)

If drivers didn't help and moving the PCI card didn't do anything you could try the PCI Latency tool: GURU3D link . I used it to adjust my audigy 2zs and eliminated the slight crackling I was getting occasionally. It allows you to manually change the time PCI and/or agp parts have to hold access to the PCI bus. I set my x850 to 196 (standard RAM/byte-type multiples apply) and everything seems smooth and stable. Don't set anything below 32 (64 is good for audio cards), and certain system setting should be left at their defaults if they're showing 0. You'll need to apply changes->save->apply at startup to keep your edits.

Hey thanks, I never would have thought of adjusting the PCI latency. I'll try that when I get home.

What kind of problems were y ou having with your video card prior to adjustment?

None, but ATI cards run at 256 or something by default (and can hog the PCI bus) and it was recommended on the guru3d forums to lower that number a bit when adjusting audio card pci timings. After some trial and error 196 eliminated the crackling for me without effecting the video card performance so that's what I left it at.

Now that you mention it I did notice that the problem seemed a little more prevalent when running a game... hmm.. Although that may have just been my imagination.

Anyway, I'll definitely give it a try once I get back. I don't really have the luxury of moving the sound card as I only have two available PCI slots and the wireless card blocks the GPU airflow less. (going water soon though)

Did lowering the 256 timer effect your 3dmark at all?

What kind of headphones are you using? And are you using them with a personal amp (cmoy, etc.)

Also, how hot is the sound card getting? I had a buddy that was having an issue with crackling on his Audigy 4, and found out it was over heating. Just put a blow hole in his case fixed that. But try touching the card when its crackling and see if there is any irregular heat coming off of it.

I know its a long shot, but as of right now, any advice is good advice as far as I see it.

It's definitely not overheating. It's cool to the touch and has a heatsink.

As far as headphones go I've listened primarily with my pair of Beyerdynamic DT-770's. However, I've also listened using grados and the problem is still there. It's a little more prevalent on the beyers, but that might just be the nature of the high range and closed design.

Welcome to the Creative's line of audio cards, my friend. I've experienced this problem first w/ the original Audigy, the Audigy 2 ZS, Audigy 4 (W-A-S-T-E) and the X-FI bullcrap.

Different setups, different settings, etc, etc, etc. It's hit or miss w/ Creative's cards but developers seem to be all over the Creative bandwagon so what can ya' do?

Unbiased reviews never really rate Creative soundcards that great for sound quality (music, etc.). Now for games that's a different subject.

Back