• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System rebuilt - shuts down on boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SunTzu69

Hi guys,

In order to resolve issues in a specific game, I recently installed a new 500W Fortron Blue Storm. During the process, it seems like I lost my CMOS chip, and I got a new identical motherboard while I have the old one fixed.

So I put everything together, it boots to the BIOS, I am happy as can be. I flash the bios to version 6/23 and change the settings such as voltage, etc. Then I run into a bit of trouble. If I try to boot into the autorun Windows install from my CD-ROM drive, my pc will reboot right after the "analyzing system settings..." message prior to the setup launching. Also, if I try to boot on my HD which has my old Win XP install on it, it shuts down like 5 seconds after I see the logo.

Suprisingly, I can boot to a floppy drive or safe mode windows without any issues. Here is some information on what I have tried:

- I ran memtest on my 3 different OCZ Dimms for hours, and everything turns out fine. I currently have the voltage set to 2.7v manually.

- I have my old Fortron 530W that I could try. I upgraded from this PSU as the 12v rail is not sufficient. What are the chances that my brand new Fortron 500W Blue Storm is causing my rig to reboot or shutdown? Why would it always shutdown the system when I try to load a Windows install CD, but never when I boot into safe mode if it was my PSU?

- I pulled out both the CD-ROM and floppy drives, and it still shuts down while I load windows on my Raptor. This is a previous install before hardware upgrades. I see the Windows logo and the progress bar going accross the screen for about 5-10 seconds, then I get the shutdown.

- Before I took the rig apart to replace the PSU, my rig was running fine. CPU was passing prime95, no problem. I am booting the mobile at 1.55v at the moment to try to resolve these issues.

There has to be something that I am missing here... are there any known issues with the booting process with this board. Anything in the BIOS that might be causing this? When I get home I plan to rip everything apart and get back to troubleshooting. However, if any of you have any tips that I might try prior to starting from scratch it would be appreciated. This has been going on for weeks now and I can't wait to have peace of mind.

is it a total shutdown or just a reboot?it almost sounds like cpu overheat protection kicking in but I find that hard to believe unless your waterblock has a bad mount or the 6/23 BIOS reads your temps too high.what temps do you see in BIOS?if temps are normal maybe a nice long CMOS clear would help. I had temp "issues" with some older BIOS's but the 5/04 and the 6/23(what I'm on now) have both been fine but I have a desktop Clawhammer not a mobile.

ColtIce said:
is it a total shutdown or just a reboot?it almost sounds like cpu overheat protection kicking in but I find that hard to believe unless your waterblock has a bad mount or the 6/23 BIOS reads your temps too high.what temps do you see in BIOS?if temps are normal maybe a nice long CMOS clear would help. I had temp "issues" with some older BIOS's but the 5/04 and the 6/23(what I'm on now) have both been fine but I have a desktop Clawhammer not a mobile.

Sometimes I get a shutdown, other times a reboot. From what I recall, I think the reboots were from trying to boot a new install from the Windows CD. The shutdowns were from trying to boot into my old Windows install on the HD.

My idle temp (indicated) in the bios for the cpu is 38 C. When I touch the components and my water pipes, I don't detect much heat and although my cpu mounting job might not be the best I ever attempted, it's on nice and solid. If I push down on the block while it's running, I can maybe lower temps by 1 C, but not always. I'll try the long CMOS clear, it's worth a shot.

One thing worth mentionning as well is that the shutdowns/reboots seem to occur at the same exact time during the loading process, which I would think rules out heat or bad PSU causes, but that's just an indicator like everything else I guess.

:)

Thanks, more tips appreciated.

Please bare with me guys, I am at work presently but I will give all of your suggestions a try by tomorrow morning. Thank you for your suggestions, not only could it give my system life but its keeping me going.

The first thing I am doing is going out of case again and with bare essentials to boot my Raptor HD. Then I'll try all of your suggestions. I want to try to solve this in a linear fashion rather than bouncing left and right and wasting your time.

I'll post tomorrow at the latest. Thanks.

Last edited:
Ok,

I have made some progress. After changing the cpu and video card, I wasn't getting anywhere. However, I cleared the bios and managed to boot with just one dimm of OCZ value-type ram (new). In order to get somewhere I had to manually increase the voltage to 2.7v.

Then, I pop in my OCZ 4200 EL 2.5-3-3-X ram, and it will not boot, I still get a shutdown during windows bootup. So I relax the timings to 3-4-4-10, bring the voltage to 2.8v, disable command per clock and it boots into windows and runs for a good while. I was so happy. :cool:

Finally, I insert my other dimm of 4200 EL, and I can't boot again. I up the voltage to 2.9v, then 3.0v (just to try quickly), and it loads windows. I turned the system off afterwards because I am not sure I want to run these dimms at that voltage. At 2.8v, those two dimms report no errors in memtest86.

Any ideas on what I should do? All of this ram is fairly new and has run well for months, and passes memtest86. Is it a matter of bios settings that my board doesn't like with this RAM?

Last edited:
I One of my EL 4200 Plat. gives me a tons of errors in memtest86 test #5 and will not boot into windows. This is all in slot 1 with very relaxed settings. The other two dimms shine, even when I give them tighter timmings or a bit of an OC.

I ran the tests a few times, and I am confident that the DIMM is bad. Thanks for your help, I think this is resolved.

did you mean the dimm socket on the board? check if there is something in the socket. maybe when you changed everthing something got in there. could be you can get it out and use the socket again. worth a try.

Back