• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

computer in the attic?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EvilT

I was thinkin about puting my file server in the attic, my ? is what hsf would be good to cool the cpu and what hdd cooler would be good for the hdds, the attic is the hottist place in my house durin the summer, so im open to any/all sugestions

not to mention its 10-30 degrees warmer on a summer day up there. Winter it would work temp wise, but with everything else mentioned it would surely kill it

I wouldn't work well, Even if you have a quality hs with a high powered fan the surronding envorment is still way too hot.

It doesnt matter what kind of CPU cooling you put on there if the ambient temps are too high. Where you live in south Georgia it can get a little over 100 degrees fahrenheit in the summer(outside temps). And I have seen it get up to 125 degrees in some attics(no kidding, I help install AC systems and I sometimes have to work in these temperatures) and it can probably get hotter. Honestly, unless you can cool your entire attic(which would be a huge waste of money) I think you would be better off sticking it in a closet.

I'ts been perfectly stated above. You could cool it with the blower motor from a furnace and it would still overheat in the summer. The air temp is already going to be hot so you will just be blowing already hot air on hot heatsink.

For a cpu cooler to cool, it must be able to disapate the heat. To disapate the heat the temp of the air blowing on the heatsink must be cooler than what the heatsink is drawing from the CPU. The system will try and reach equilibrium by transfering the heat of the cpu to the air. If the air is hotter, it works the other way, the air will heat up the heatsink.

well stickin it in the closet still gets hot, bc the air outside the closet cant get in to replace the hot air. So i dont know i will let yall know what i decide

A closet would work fine, as long as it was in a cooler part of the house (NOT the attic). Keep in mind that even with the door shut it won't be an airtight seal, and the computer isn't pushing around that much air. It might not be the best of locations, but it is better than the attic. You can always leave the closet door open a crack in hotter weather too.

There is one way you could make it work...

Run an air duct outside (with a screen and filter in the line) and use a high output fan to bring outside air into the server. It would be best to wrap insulation around the air duct and the computer with the exhaust from the server being channeled away from the air intake. The server would have outside air temperatures which, in most climates, never exceeds 110 F. Your file server would work fine, although somewhat hotter than using it indoors.

EvilT said:
well stickin it in the closet still gets hot, bc the air outside the closet cant get in to replace the hot air. So i dont know i will let yall know what i decide

It wont be able to get nearly as hot as an attic. Like ErikD said
Keep in mind that even with the door shut it won't be an airtight seal, and the computer isn't pushing around that much air.
Its up to you overall, but unless you want to do a ton of extra work bringing cooler air to the computer in the attic then you shouldnt put it there. What about under a bed like hitokiri_808 said?

Back