• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixing UV with Colors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beakman

Registered
Does anyone know if the results of having colored and UV lights in your case are any good? I want my lightning in my case to be green, but I also want the UV reactive things on my Mobo/wire sleeves to "glow" too.

I was thinking maybe a green one vertical on the right and a UV vertical on the left... I'm not sure... anyone done similar and got nice results?

you can check my last update concerning my mod (link in my sig)

I do a comparison between red ccfl, uv ccfl and with both on.

Where exactly is the comparsion? I must be skipping over something...

here's the link for the second page of my mod thread: the comparison is in the last third of the page.

HERE

Blue and UV might go well together as the wavelengths are similar. Red and UV are basically at opposings ends of the spectrum(as far as the human eye). The thing to consider is how much UV there will be and how much visible light. I'd think a 3 to 1 ratio would work..especially if you can dim the visible cathodes to adjust the ratio further.

Deadbot1_1973 said:
Blue and UV might go well together as the wavelengths are similar. Red and UV are basically at opposings ends of the spectrum(as far as the human eye). The thing to consider is how much UV there will be and how much visible light. I'd think a 3 to 1 ratio would work..especially if you can dim the visible cathodes to adjust the ratio further.
Yes, but as someone said above, you are seeing the light from the UV reactive object, not
the UV itself. Therefore one must consider the color the UV reactive component will be emitting.

How about some 12" UV ccfl with a few red LED's to light up the dark areas?
UV and red make a nice contrast, so long as they don't intersect. These conversations
always take me back to high school when we'd mess around with black lights & such
while listening to the likes of Led Zeppelin & Jimi Hendrix. :beer:

Last edited:
my uv and red setup will be better when i'll manage to plug my two pairs of cathodes (red and uv ones) each in a channel of my fan/light controller. This way i'll dim the red and crank up the uv, and hopefully it will merge perfectly. I'll try to post pics of that next week.

Are you saying you are going to connect the CCFL lights to a dimmer?
Can you be more specific what is is you plan to do? The reason I'm asking
is because a lot of CCFL inverter fires are caused by improper modding.

Don't forget, the CCFL run at 400-700 volts, but at low amps.

One should never try to run more lamps off of an inverter than it was built for.
Also, the whole inverter>tube wire harness is not meant to be tampered with.

goodgod said:
my uv and red setup will be better when i'll manage to plug my two pairs of cathodes (red and uv ones) each in a channel of my fan/light controller. This way i'll dim the red and crank up the uv, and hopefully it will merge perfectly. I'll try to post pics of that next week.

Last edited:
yeah i'm using a sunbeam rheobus which has 4 channels, each connected by a 3 pin male fan connector. I connected already two fans on the first and second buttons, then the uv cathodes to the 3rd one (using a dual inverter to 3 pin fan converter).

My red cathodes are connected to a pci bracket, but i want them to be controlled by the 4th button of my controller. The problem is, I don't have another converter to plug the dual inverter on the 3 pin fan male on the controller. So I'll make my own converter by taking the pci bracket wires and changing some ends with the 3pins fan pins that i just bought.

This way, i'll control the power of both my uv and red cathodes, and I will be able to shut both of them off when I'm afk or dling like mad all night long.

Susquehannock said:
Yes, but as someone said above, you are seeing the light from the UV reactive object, not
the UV itself. Therefore one must consider the color the UV reactive component will be emitting.

How about some 12" UV ccfl with a few red LED's to light up the dark areas?
UV and red make a nice contrast, so long as they don't intersect. These conversations
always take me back to high school when we'd mess around with black lights & such
while listening to the likes of Led Zeppelin & Jimi Hendrix. :beer:

yeah that was me said it. Just saying that since UV and Blue aren't to far apart chromatically(I watched Jeopardy today, see the big word :rolleyes: ), they should work well together.

Basically the sunbeam thing is just decreasing the voltage to the inverter, so it should be safe. Just don't try to run FROM the inverter THRU the rheobus to the lights. Bad stuff will happen. you could also try running it at 7v or 5v, should work the same.

Back