• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stupid tech TV people

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funnyperson1

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/answerstips/jump/0,24331,3358487,00.html

AMD's Athlon chips are particularly popular for overclocking. Intel's early Celerons were overclocking marvels, especially the 266-MHz and 300-MHz versions. Unfortunately, those early Celerons are hard to find, but folks have overclocked the latest 566-MHz Celeron chips up to 900 MHz.

You can even tweak Pentium III Coppermines, but the faster your chip, the less likely it will respond to overclocking.
What? they didnt give intel any credit, what about the P3 700 that almost always got to 933, or the celly 533 that gets several 100% overclocks, or the Celly 800s that can go to 1.2? or even the P31GHZ that several people on these forums have gotten up to 1.4?......I cant believe they treated the coppermines as an afterthought.....stupid tech tv people.....

Not sure what there smonking (but the faster your chip, the less likely it will respond to overclocking? Not sure about that but my Celly 1Ghz is very happy at 1.2 and can get more with better cooling but hay! for 90 $$$ I can live with that :)

melkus said:
Not sure what there smonking (but the faster your chip, the less likely it will respond to overclocking? Not sure about that but my Celly 1Ghz is very happy at 1.2 and can get more with better cooling but hay! for 90 $$$ I can live with that :)

What they mean that the faster your chip the more harder it'll be to overclock so... I think that is very true since the Celeron 533 had a 100% overclock while the higher ones will go to like 33%

I believe I actually saw that episode of screen savers where they talked about that. I think what they meant was before cd0 coppermines the 1GHz chip was about as fast as the current technology could go. You could buy a good 700 and get to 1Ghz, but if you bought a 1GHz you weren't going much higher than 1050 - hence the faster your chip was to begin with, the less room you had before it topped out around 1gig.

dont put to much into a show like the screen savers. I think there main audience is the people who just got connected to the internet with their brand new computer from best buy.

we are the extreme!!!

TC said:
I believe I actually saw that episode of screen savers where they talked about that. I think what they meant was before cd0 coppermines the 1GHz chip was about as fast as the current technology could go. You could buy a good 700 and get to 1Ghz, but if you bought a 1GHz you weren't going much higher than 1050 - hence the faster your chip was to begin with, the less room you had before it topped out around 1gig.

If those techs are referring to recent P3 processsors (cB0 or cC0 stepping even..), yes.. what the Techs said about it is indeed correct. So, yeah I see the point you're getting at and I agree with you exactly. :p

To make this short, for most of earlier P3 chips, they are maxed out roughly at 1.05- 1.13Ghz therefore a P3 700 cB0/cC0 were the best overclockers in mhz rate.

Monster of Rock said:
hey be happy that they even mention overclocking at all. I'm glad that they at least got what they printed right!:)
yea, i hear ya there... i try to watch that show everyday.. they do tell you some interesting things..

Ebola said:
dont put to much into a show like the screen savers. I think there main audience is the people who just got connected to the internet with their brand new computer from best buy.

I agree. I watched an episode this week where they were trying to explain overclocking on that show.... Lets just say it wasnt very thourough and they went through what they did explain so quickly that someone new to overclocking wouldnt grasp what they were explaining.

They did mention Overclockers.com as the place to learn more about overclocking, which was smart because this is the best place to learn.

I know im enjoying my overclock. Did I mention that after buying a new 400watt power supply my cpu now runs stable at 1.9volts? Yea finally a .5 drop;)

Spacepiston said:

I agree. I watched an episode this week where they were trying to explain overclocking on that show.... Lets just say it wasnt very thourough and they went through what they did explain so quickly that someone new to overclocking wouldnt grasp what they were explaining.

They did mention Overclockers.com as the place to learn more about overclocking, which was smart because this is the best place to learn.

I know im enjoying my overclock. Did I mention that after buying a new 400watt power supply my cpu now runs stable at 1.9volts? Yea finally a .5 drop;)

thats great to hear your running alot better. ill have to invest in a better psu myself soon =)

Ebola said:

we are the extreme!!!
LOL - yeah this week they went way overboard and mentioned that you can overclock a video card :D Then Leo went on to try to overclock a P4 machine. They happened to be discussing buying "special" ram from Mushkin that was guaranteed for 150MHz operation, so wouldn't you know it, Leo thinks he can definitely up the machine with rdram in it to 150 also. Hmmm, well it didn't seem to boot too well :)

Back