• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help-Best gaming monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You could get a Dell 3005 FPW, or a Dell 2004 FPW... 20" and 30" respectively.

2405FPW is the 24", all of the dell LCDs seem to be pretty darn good, Samsung panels, etc.

I am not a real big fan of the LCD monitors (I mean its good tech if you do other things other than gaming). I however prefer the CRT/Flat monitors and one that comes to mind is the Sony FW900. The FW900 weighs alot so if your looking for portability don't get it :). The FW900 takes around 10 min to warmup (from my experience with it any way).

lemings said:
I am not a real big fan of the LCD monitors (I mean its good tech if you do other things other than gaming). I however prefer the CRT/Flat monitors and one that comes to mind is the Sony FW900. The FW900 weighs alot so if your looking for portability don't get it :). The FW900 takes around 10 min to warmup (from my experience with it any way).

The FW900 doesnt way all that much :D Just grab it and lug it around lol.

I have used it, and it realy doesnt seem to have much of an issue with warming up. But at the same time, the guy was leaving it on almost 24/7.

why would you want a monitor that has to warm up?

I would take a look at getting the new viewsonic monitor that sports a 3ms response time. I got sick and tired of needing to carry a 50lb viewsonic CRT monitor (was great, but I prefer my Samsung 930b over it 110%).

I've gone through 2 FW900s within the last 2 weeks and both were ruined in the shipping process. Right now I've got an IBM P275 which is great! I'd probably have to say it's second best monitor to game with second only to the FW900. I'm not a fan of LCDs either, in fact I sold my 930B to buy a CRT for that reason alone. LCDs are bright, vibrant, but ultimately look like crap color wise. Especially the gaming (6-bit boards). This is of course my opinion, but I much prefer the colors on this CRT to my old Samsung panel. Then again, I never move my monitor, and if I did I would probably go back to LCD screens.

PS - If you play CS and you like to snipe I'd recommend an LCD, just b/c you can put a little dry-erase marker dot where the crosshairs are so you can pre-aim better with sniper rifles, boo-yah! Can't do that with CRTs though... =(

Falcon-K said:
whats your price range.

Price is a secondary concern. I'm willing to pay for the best.

"are you looking for only an LCD?"

Not necesarily but I really don't want a huge honkin CRT on my desk. Are plasma any good for gaming?

I have seen some good reviews on the Dell's but really wondered if they are that great at gaming. And it is a Dell.......(not a huge fan of Dell if you can't tell).

I prefer not to buy a Discontinued CRT.

At Christmas I upgraded from a nice 19" Diamondtron CRT to a Dell 2005FPW. I use my computer mostly for FPS online gaming, and I will never go back to a CRT. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed when my wife's family surprised me with the gift, because at the time I believed all the negative things people were saying about LCDs and gaming. I figured that I'd give it a shot and then return it within the 21-day grace period if I felt that my Diamondtron was better. That never happened because I fell in love with the 2005FPW.

So that's another thing to keep in mind: Dell gives you a 21-day period during which you can return items with no hassle. With all the good feedback regarding the Dell monitors, why not at least give one a try?

I've got an FW900, and I absolutely love it. They are awesome monitors. Big whoop about the warming up process... Who games for that short of a time? I imagine epauls doesn't only game for a short amount of time, because his purchases revolve around gaming. I swear by the FW900, and I even had a 2405FPW before this. I prefer the FW900 by a long haul. Definately don't buy it if you need to be portable with it though. The official warm up time is actually 30 minutes, but again, warm-up time is no big deal...

I don't see why people complain about the warmup time either, I for one usually leave my system up all the time (Most of the time monitor included).

I guess I'll look at the Dell and the samsung 24" LCD's.

Not interested in a CRT, especially one that is discontinued.

Elif Tymes said:
You could get a Dell 3005 FPW, or a Dell 2004 FPW... 20" and 30" respectively.

2405FPW is the 24", all of the dell LCDs seem to be pretty darn good, Samsung panels, etc.

At least with the 30" I think you mean the Dell 3007WFP (its expensive though.... $2199)

What do people think about the 23" apple Cinema Display?
I've seen the Cinema Displays in the apple stores and they are damn nice, and props to apple for having those things on the market for such a long time...but from what I read when Dell came out with their 30" LCD, the Dell IS the updated version of the 30" apple cinema display (I'm not sure if apple has yet switched to the newer version display...it would be understandable if they haven't as I highly doubt they clear out inventory of those things very fast) If this holds true for the rest of the Dell line...I'm not sure, all I know is I'd love to have one of these monitors. With me Logitech's old slogan really resonates, "it's what you touch," because its true! The hours I spend at a computer, it isn't the cpu or the vid card that make the biggest difference to me, things like the monitor do though. I am very prone to getting headaches, and tired eyes when staring at a CRT or even an LCD in a room with florescent lights, so having a good monitor is a really big deal for me. I honestly can't wait for the LED backlight LCDs to come out (current LCDs are backlit by florescent lights afaik).

I personally wouldn't want the 30'' display for gaming. Even with a great computer the resolution is genereally just too much. I would prefer to have 2x2005FPWs in dual screen. The 24'' is a bit more believable as well.

Janus,
Really? Please explain. I would think that having one of the 30" may be the ultimate. Are you saying that todays Video cards( ie 7800GTX) could not handle it with FPS games? Let alone an SLI config?

Resolutions to look good on monitors that big (Think higher than 1600x1200), puts a lot of strain on video cards. The Dell 3007 has native resolution of 2560x1600.
Sure you can play games like that, but don't expect constant 60+ framerates with all the eye candy on.

EDIT: I think a 24" or less should suit you well. Any higher and you're asking for Crossfire/SLI.

Last edited:
Back