• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Itchiing to build...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MstrRoshi

Registered
So I've come to a crossroads for my gaming PC. I'm definitely due for an upgrade on both CPU and GPU. Sig is current...

The goal right now is working up to 4k Gaming, @ 60 fps. I thought I could kill 2 birds with one stone, and bought this great looking TV. Too bad it only refreshes @ 30hz when displaying 3840x2160 resolution. Really disappointed in the gaming potential, but what's even more disappointing is my 280x couldn't even push it to the max 30 fps. :mad:

Ideally I would love to run VR, but I feel like SLI/Crossfire is going to be needed for those applications. Honestly I don't see the point of running 2 GPU's if the cpu only has 16 pci lanes available for them.. Which leaves the 6850k as the cheapest options right now. But at that price, I'm definitely waiting for Threadripper.

The itch has got to be scratched... So I'm looking at a single GPU rig to be able to play games @ 3840x2160 with 60 fps. Obviously if it'll run at 60fps it'll push my tv to its max at 30. In the future I plan on getting a 144hz monitor and I don't want to upgrade again at that time.

What is the best first step to take in order to play (on my TV now) 4K Games @ 60 fps?

GPU Upgrade to:
RX 580 - I know NV is king for cards, but is a 1080 really needed for my goals? I have a hard time justifying a Video Card that costs as much as my Core Set...

OR

Core Set Upgrade to:
Ryzen 1700
Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Asus ROG Strix B350-F
G. Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4 3200

Price wise its essentially a toss up. the kicker is that which ever I buy now, it has got to last me until Christmas. Hopefully the end of year bonus is enough to finish off the build completely. I know the gpu would get me to the 4k goal.. but it's hard to pass up on the raw power upgrade going from the FX-8350 to the R7 1700.

TIYA for all suggestions.

I think you're overdoing it on pcie lanes, I tried 2 2560x1440, higher refresh monitors on one of my 4790K rigs and came close to doing it.
my hold up was not pcie, this or that, it was the single 1080 trying to push close to the pixel count of 4k pixels.
going back and re reading my thread it looks like a 1080 will do the job for 4 k with a little lower graphics settings in some games and a 1080ti is the cats meow.

Last edited:
I think you're overdoing it on pcie lanes, I tried 2 2560x1440, higher refresh monitors on one of my 4790K rigs and came close to doing it.
my hold up was not pcie, this or that, it was the single 1080 trying to push close to the pixel count of 4k pixels.

So your single 1080 wasn't quite up to 60fps with those 2 monitors running 2560x1440? That kinda surprises me, to be honest. I knew for VR I would need 2 gpu's but for 4k I was really hoping to get away with running 1 card.

when you say "Overdoing it on pcie lanes" what do you mean exactly? Now I actually haven't done much research into this but I would imagine the difference of running 2 cards at 8x8 or 2 cards at 16x16 is pretty significant. I'd love to run those tests myself, but that'll be a while before I can afford all that hardware lol.

the monitors are 144 refresh.

i retract my previous statement! Thats very encouraging then. May be looking into that as well. It would clearly run my tv to its max as well as my next monitor.

Btw i dont plan on running my tv and monitor. Just the tv until i get a better monitor and then ill switch the that. Very rarely do i hook them both up

x16,x8 is not really an issue. our cards can't fill all those pipelines.

I have to agree, a 1080TI , vega is just out and i have not even looked for benchmarks yet, but it should be some where around the 1080-1080TI performance.

x16,x8 is not really an issue. our cards can't fill all those pipelines.

thanks for the clarification.
I went searching for some tests on the subject and found a fairly recent video that compares up to 4 980's on the 5930k & 5820k. The dif in frames on the 2 card test is only 3 fps...

Is there an application where you would need the extra bandwidth?

Thanks for the input, ill probably jump up to x370 chipset now.

it's weather or not the card can fill the pipelines, right now they can't.
maybe when they come out with a 1280 or vega 6500 card they might.

That TV will definitely do 4k@60Hz. To do 4:4:4 you to to enable HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color and set the input icon to PC. This will jack up the input lag seriously though, almost 72 ms according to rtrolls.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uh6100

Make sure you have the latest firmware update on the tv. If your only seeing 4k@30hz in your display options you may have to create a custom resolution for 4k@60hz. It could also be your card or hdmi cable. You definitely need a quality cable. I just got one of these and its excellent for the price.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XM9774/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you have HDR turned on in Windows?
Have you done a chroma test?

It looks like it can do 4k@60Hz HDR at a REALLY good <19ms input lag. This set would make an excellent console gamer tv. If I were you I'd sacrifice the 4:4:4 chroma and live with 4:2:2 for the lower input lag. I lived with it for a while its ok but definitely get off 30Hz that is just not bearable.

There is no reason to consider Threadripper at this point. Its a waste of money for gaming. If you want to upgrade cpu\mb\ram now and your going to OC then a 1700 is the way to go. If you are waiting till end of the year, coffee lake will be the way to go. GPU is a total pause right now. You got prices coming down off mining highs, Vega starting to hit, and Volta down the road. No way I'd pay over $400 for a rx580.

Honestly, if gaming and web surfing are the tasks and you don't need a bunch of cores, a 7700k and 1080 Ti will be a winning combo. There will always be something "better" around the corner, but probably not better for your needs for quite a while.

Yeah there is something better, I upgraded from i5 6600k at 4.5Ghz to i5 7600k at 4.6Ghz with the same hyper 212 cooler and gained less than a percent in performance.:D

Yeah there is something better, I upgraded from i5 6600k at 4.5Ghz to i5 7600k at 4.6Ghz with the same hyper 212 cooler and gained less than a percent in performance.:D

why I still game on my 4790K rigs, and it looks like I will for a very long time.......

That TV will definitely do 4k@60Hz. To do 4:4:4 you to to enable HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color and set the input icon to PC. This will jack up the input lag seriously though, almost 72 ms according to rtrolls.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uh6100

It looks like it can do 4k@60Hz HDR at a REALLY good <19ms input lag. This set would make an excellent console gamer tv. If I were you I'd sacrifice the 4:4:4 chroma and live with 4:2:2 for the lower input lag. I lived with it for a while its ok but definitely get off 30Hz that is just not bearable.

There is no reason to consider Threadripper at this point. Its a waste of money for gaming. If you want to upgrade cpu\mb\ram now and your going to OC then a 1700 is the way to go. If you are waiting till end of the year, coffee lake will be the way to go. GPU is a total pause right now. You got prices coming down off mining highs, Vega starting to hit, and Volta down the road. No way I'd pay over $400 for a rx580.

Thanks for sharing that review! I honestly couldn't figure it out when I tried and wrote it off as it wasn't able to. After this, and a few updates since my last attempt, it seemed to read at a max refresh rate of 70hz which is great for what I'm looking for! Must have been the firmware updates, cuz I really didn't have to do anything at all.

I'd agree with you that Threadripper is overkill for gaming, and it's still a long ways down the line for me, couple years before I would need anything that powerful.

Yea I noticed there was a huge jump in the RX 5xx price this year. Is that all just because of the mining push? I thought for sure there was something different to justify the price doubling.

Seems like a 1080 or 1080Ti is the collective vote for single card applications @ 4k... but in the same breath its a terrible time to buy gpus because of the mining craze sky rocketing the price....

Seems like my options have changed:

R7 1700 - $299
Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 - $89
Asus Prime X370-Pro - $159
G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16GB (2x8gb) @ 2400 - $150

OR double up on the 280x, then add the NVMe so my 8350 "Feels" faster lol.

Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB - $128
Seasonic PRIME TITANIUM 750w - $170
XFX R9 280X - ~ $140 - Seems these are still pretty reasonable used.

I don't think 2 280x's will get me to 60fps in 4k, but I would be happy if it brought me up to 40-45fps! At least until I can pick up a Vega or a Ti

Last edited:
Back