• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible way to save parts from minor spills

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BobcatDan

I was thinking about using a Teflon (or similar) spray in a few high danger areas in my computer, namely on the back of the video card since my system sits upright and if the cpu block leaks it will hit the back of the vid card. Teflon (I believe) is a good insulator, so spraying it on the back of a card shouldn’t short anything. A thin coating should prevent a small coolant spill from shorting the board out, and as an added benefit dust does not stick well to Teflon so it should keep where it is sprayed cleaner as well (perhaps I should try coating the case fans with some). Another possible use is for you extreme coolers, condensation (and then ice) is less likely to form on Teflon, so coating area’s where your system builds up a lot of frost might help that (though I would highly suggest testing it out of your system first). The only down side is that Teflon does not conduct heat very well, so spraying it everywhere (like over mosfets) is a bad idea. Any thoughts?
Dan

The question becomes, what is carrying the teflon in an Aerosol form and is that conductive. Also the liquid would flow off the teflon and around to either the PCI-E or Agp slot and collect there.

Remember that liquid flows to the lowest point, so while the teflon may not have the back of the video card become damaged, the liquid flowing over to the MB or whereever else may have other issues happen instead.

That's why I said minor spills, if the spill is large enough it will run off to other areas where it will do damage. I was assume that the computer was level though, which as you pointed out may not be the case. If it is not level, then even a small spill could lead to a short. Although, if I can prevent the vid car from becoming damaged, then it might be worth sacrificing the MB. It could also be possible to somehow guide a spill so that it falls to the bottom of the case where it does not harm (some sort of absorbent material at the bottom to prevent splashing).

As for the aerosol, the Teflon is likely suspended in a solvent (which may or may not be conductive), but that solvent should evaporate completely. I may go pick up some Teflon spray and do some tests (obviously not my computer).
Dan

I would think teflon would have some sort of thermal insulation as well? You are likely to increase heat on some components?

If you are worried about your graphics card (And who wouldnt be? :))then maybe do something else to prevent water from reaching the graphics card AND mobo. Maybe take a peice of perspex/plexi/lexan, heat it and bend it in one end so one part would be flush with your cpu, thus able to be fastened there, and the bent part to act as a chout/drain so any drops would land on the case floor rather than your precious hardware:)

Just my thoughts..

If a spill hits your mobo that could still damage your video card. If you are really paranoid it's probably best to use a nonconductive liquid as your coolant. I would be wary of the quality of coat of a teflon spray, but admittedly I have no experience with them.

Just use MCT-40. Already saved me a video card on a system I built. I had to tip it up to fill the res and it poured unnoticed onto the video card. I never noticed it untill after the LED fans lit up the back of the video card hours after the leak test showed no signs of leakage and I powered up there it sat a nice pool of reflective liquid just saying to me aint you glad you spent the $22 on me.

Video card cost $500
Fluid saved the owner $478
:)

Back