• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

torque specs for nylon barbs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

are there any? I am starting to build my first water setup and I have started out by putting the barbs on my swiftech 220 QP. They are the clear plastic ones. I wrapped the threads with about 2 maybe 3 layers of teflon and tightened them down. I had to use a wrench because the teflon made it tighter and i just thought to myself that i could be cracking or stretching them. Am I still good to go?

lol.

i am also having the same dilemma with the acrylic mrco res by swiftech. is there such a thing as too tight or do i just crank them down?

i would just put more wraps of teflon on them. i had about 5-6 wraps on mines and i definetly didnt need to torque them down all the way.

the mcro res is a little different because it uses o-rings. on that piece i'd like to know how much i need to tighten it for it to work (the o-ring itself is hard to see), but i don't want to crack/strip and ruin anything.

darn it, too late (for the res, anyway). i must have overtightened because after a certain level of tightening it "lets go" and gets easy to tighten. Poor design, IMO, plus no cautions or instructions that mention how much to tighten it. Can i fix this with a lot of tape or do i need a new one?

Last edited:
so i should not use a wrench at all? damn i wish that was mentioned in the instructions. i wouldn't have broken the res...

Last edited:
ahhh!, i am such an idiot! might as well order a new res. I think if you are not supposed to use a wrech, they shouldn't have the hex pattern around it that accepts a wrench. :(

Don't forget that those barbs are not made for that specific application, some places do need a wrench and other don't...
Just leak test it and what crimedog said above.

i'm at least going to order/beg for/find barbs that aren't stripped. then leak test. thank you for the help :D

Last edited:
Back