• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old watercooling components for new PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thecube

Registered
I am going to be building a new PC in the next couple weeks. The specs will be:

I5 9600k
Asrock Pro4 motherboard
16GB DDR4 3200
RTX 2070
Silverstone TJ-09 case

I bought some watercooling parts for my old system, but never installed them.

Swiftech MCP-220 rad
Swiftech apogee XT
Swiftech MCP 355 pump
Tubing/clamps/etc

It looks like the block will physically mount to the socket, and I can mount the rest of it in the case. I am just wondering what the performance of this will be in relation to say a Hyper 212? Is it even worth messing with? I already have all of the parts, so cost is not an issue. I just know that they are older, though it looks like TDP hasn't really changed much?

If I were to add a GPU block at some point down the line; I have room for an additional 120 rad. Is this sufficient?

Last edited:
I am just wondering what the performance of this will be in relation to say a Hyper 212? Is it even worth messing with?

It will be much better, although the block design is a bit old, it will still perform better then any air cooler.

If I were to add a GPU block at some point down the line; I have room for an additional 120 rad. Is this sufficient?

Yes, but i would recommend going for a better/newer case, with better air flow and rad support, that way you could go 2x220 or even 220+360.

This could give you better load temps and even better OC/boost clocks.

edit: man i just realized how many "better" words i wrote...

It will be much better, although the block design is a bit old, it will still perform better then any air cooler.

Yes, but i would recommend going for a better/newer case, with better air flow and rad support, that way you could go 2x220 or even 220+360.

This could give you better load temps and even better OC/boost clocks.

edit: man i just realized how many "better" words i wrote...

Awesome, thanks. I will probably just go with this for now, and then see if/when I want to watercooler the GPU what cases/rads/whatever are out then.

Back