• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TOO many fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I completely avoid plugging fans into my motherboard other than for the purpose of RPM monitoring, all the power on all 27 of my fans are drawn straight from my PSU. I have heard horror stories about people drawing too much power through their mobo...

~RT~

Dear god, 27 fans...

The only problems i have heard of is when you plug in a fan that draws alot of power (3 or 4 watts), it can burn out the fan header. But you shoud be ok plugging one low-draw fan into each header.

RedneckTech said:
I completely avoid plugging fans into my motherboard other than for the purpose of RPM monitoring, all the power on all 27 of my fans are drawn straight from my PSU. I have heard horror stories about people drawing too much power through their mobo...

~RT~
Definitely right! Only plug (I use only one) fan into the mboard.
Some of the more powerful fans draw more current than the motherboard can supply. Result! Minimum, a fan connector that quits working. Maximum, You don't wanna know!

RedneckTech said:
all the power on all 27 of my fans ~RT~

What in the world do you use 16 40mm fans for? Are they in HDD cooling trays or something? The highest flowing 40mm I've ever seen was like 6CFM, so in free air, 16 of em would only make 96CFM. If you're actually using them for case cooling, methinks you should replace them with one panaflo 120mm... :D
Peace
John

RedneckTech said:

~RT~

27 FANS!!!!!!!!!!!! DAMN! racking up those frequent flyer miles are we???? Does the weather channel frequent your house to make studies on tornado effects and causes???

Intraveinous said:

What in the world do you use 16 40mm fans for? Are they in HDD cooling trays or something? The highest flowing 40mm I've ever seen was like 6CFM, so in free air, 16 of em would only make 96CFM. If you're actually using them for case cooling, methinks you should replace them with one panaflo 120mm... :D
Peace
John

LOL, let's see one IDE in the top BayCooler, a dead SCSI I haven't taken out yet in the BayCooler right below that, one empty BayCooler, and another IDE in the bottom BayCooler.

~RT~

If you're using standard fans and no splitters, you should be fine. What size PSU do you have? I have shorted out fan headers on two boards by trying to plug in a 38cfm Delta. It's a bad feeling!

Go to CompUSA or online and get some 4pin to 3pin adapters and use those as suggested.

RedneckTech said:
...all the power on all 27 of my fans are drawn straight from my PSU...
~RT~

Yoy, double yoy...27 fans !!!

IF they are blowing out, you could turn that case in to a hovercraft...LOL

:D

Hoercraft, the next overclocking craze... the pc that hovers!:D
Seriously now though look in your board manual and it will say the rated current your fan headers give out, my board gives nearly twice as much as a 38cfm delta needs, plugged it in, it works.

Back