• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

plz help, swap hdd on Inspiron

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KGH

My Inspiron 9300 motherboard is dead. While waiting for Dell to replace it. I need to extract data (school projects) off the hdd real bad and really cannot afford to lose more time. So my question is : can i take out the hdd of this I9300 and put in I6000 (a friend laptop) ?? would be ok just to boot up and get some files ?

thnx

K

It should be ok to boot with hard drive from 9300 on 6000 and if it boots windows will look for drivers. Though nothing is a guarantee.

possibly, windows can be bitchy about too many hardware changes, and theres a chance it won't boot if the chipsets arn't the same.

It should boot fine, and windoze will find the drivers. But you may not be able to use Windows, as it will want to be reactivated. (probably)

damarble said:
It should boot fine, and windoze will find the drivers. But you may not be able to use Windows, as it will want to be reactivated. (probably)

yeah because of the motherboard switch

damarble said:
Windows won't be needed to be reactvated. I moved hard drives between different systems once windows was activated it never again need to be activated. I know only one way for windows to be needing reactivation and that is through system restore to date prior to activation.

meionm said:
Windows won't be needed to be reactvated. I moved hard drives between different systems once windows was activated it never again need to be activated. I know only one way for windows to be needing reactivation and that is through system restore to date prior to activation.

When it detects 4 or more hardware changes it requiers reactivation.

It depends.

I can't pull a working HDD out of an IBM Thinkpad T20-22, and put it in a T23. It will just refuse to boot up. If I pull a T23 HDD, and put it in a 20-22, again, no-go.

However, I can switch from 20-21-22, without any problems. (They all use the same mobo.)

Of course, you are using Dell, and YMMV.

steve

Like Corpse Jock said, just get an adapter, and run it on your desktop.

steve

Back