• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drastic Drop in Temp after removing IHS & adding Water wetter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

firstdegreeab

Using Asus probe and/or speedfan before taking off my IHS i was getting ~57C @ full load (either twin prime's or twin cpuburn), even reseated the cpu and water block multiple times getting good contact. This morning I removed my IHS and changed my twin Koolance ram coolers to a parrellel config instead of series(in this case more restricive to flow), and changed out what koolance gave me(some glycol mix) to distilled water and Redline Waterwetter. I've heard that the zertex stuff is better (non foamning), but i couldn't find any around and i had waterwetter already in my garage. Fired the system back up and ran dual primes and haven't seen higher than 45C after an hour. Given ambient temp is a little lower than most times i've recoreded previously this still seems like an awesome decrease in temp!!! :)

Good job :)

Quite a moment removing the IHS, especially on a chip like the 4800 x2.

Most of your temperature drop probably came from removing the IHS, vs. the water wetter, but never the less I'm sure both helped.

In my experience removing the IHS, usually nets a 5-10C drop, and 50-100 mhz higher OC.

Back