• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with ATI 9800 Pro 256MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

meowmix69

My video card's stock fan recently died so I ran it for the longest time with just a floor fan on my computer but eventually i decided to replace the fan so i went out and bought a new heatsink/fan. After many attempts I couldnt get it to work so I switched back to the stock heatsink and now im getting poor video. I have OC'd the card before back when the stock fan was actually working. Currently have the 6.14.0010.6575 driver of ATI. Here are some Pictures to show my problem. Also to state everything is plugged in correctly.

That is artifacting, probably due to excessive heat. What aftermarket cooler did you buy that you were having probs with? An ATI Silencer or Zalman vf700 *might* fix this prob. Have you tried underclocking the card to see if you can get the artifacts to go away?

Is this really artifacting? I mean, all the artifacts ive seen look notthing like this, which is why my friend told me to post here.

Also, got a pic of in CS

That are artifacts, but how can your ned HSF not be working? It plain simple...
Try to underclock your card now it has that stock fan on it.
This might be caused because you were running your stock gfx card fan to long on a overclocked card, that really kils your card. It like chevro1et said; this is due to excessive heat.

Somone suggested replacing my thermal paste which i did with artic silver 5. Still getting same results, also i tried underclocking the card and that did not help either, same results. Any suggestions now?

Looks like your card is toast. The 9800s can't last very long without cooling. They have no thermal protection. You can try cleaning the core with alcohol making sure it's 1000% clean then installing an after market cooler like the ATI silencer.

lol you ran your computer with a floor fan blowing into it for a long time cuz the gfx card fan died...

hmmm i guess your gfx card is fried maybe..

OK long time since ive posted but ive been messing around and changed the color setting on my video card from 16bpp to 32bpp and boom the blues lines disappear and i can actually run games! omg! Now the new problem, Normally when a Vid card overheats it will freeze and or cause the computer to reboot. Well i can successfully play WoW now but

omg.jpg

omg1.jpg

keep in mind i can play WoW without my computer freezing or rebooting and i get no errors about my video card.

No it's still toast. Those are signs of overheating or a damaged core.

Most of the time 32BPP clears up lines in 2D is because it has a 16 bit more precision than 16BPP which helps in correcting those artifacts.

Back