• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Archival cd-r's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK I think you guys are misunderstanding my question. I am not asking about your thoughts on archiving.

I am asking about archival cd-r's.

Kendan said:
You guys still do not understand. Let me post a few links to what I am talking about:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-05-09-04.shtml

http://www.delkin.com/delkin_products_archival_gold.html
http://store.mam-a-store.com/standard---archive-gold.html

Maybe that will help you guys understand that I am not talking about everyday cd-r's but instead ones that will last hundreds of years.
I actually understood the question, but my response would have been the same as SavageBasher's in the second post.

Using some fancy "archival" disk is a waste of money. Do you really think that anyone will even have a CD (or DVD) player 300 years from now? All you really want archival media to do is be a very good back-up and last long enough for the information it contains to be transferred to the next type of archival media. Taiyo Yuden should be good for 100 years, but say it's only good for 25. In 25 years I'm sure we'll have some new type of storage media that the information on the CD/DVD media can be transferred to, and should be transferred to--and 25 years from now you'll stand a chance of finding a player to read it, 300 years from now you won't.

If you're really worried about being able to retrieve your data, make multiple back-ups, store them in different locations, and check them every 5 years or so to make sure they haven't been damaged. And, if you're really paranoid, make new back-ups of all the original files every 5 years.

You had not posted so that was not directed at you. Could you link me to where taiyo yuden declares theirs will last 100 years?

I know what I do and this is not for me. It is for a specific purpose. And as such I asked about what user experiences with brands of Archival media. If you do not use it or do not understand why it might be used then why even post? My question is not about how long they will last but what are the thoughts and experiences with the brands.

Oh, I didn't take it personally :), but I do try to avoid "me too" posts so I came in after the thread seemed to start going in circles. If you google "100 Year durability data integrity guarantee" (in quotes) you'll get linked to about 3 pages of Taiyo Yuden resellers. I did try to find where Taiyo Yuden states that explicitly, but their website is sparse and I didn't find it. It could be false, but I've been seeing it for the last several years and I would imagine someone would have called them on it by now if it was. But, I can't guarantee it, so....

My point, however, was that high quality burns on high quality media should last to the next type of storage media. And, I posted because it looked like a forum member was about to waste a lot of money buying a marketing ploy. I seriously doubt you'll find anyone who has used that media in a user forum, but you could try CDFreaks. There are folks there who discuss the chemical composition of the dyes used by different manufacturers. So, if any site had users who had used or tested that media, that would be it--or at least be a good place to start asking for pointers to more information.

Good luck,
Mark

Back