• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD RX 7900 XT F@H Stats

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
That is not much faster than my RX 6800 XT & I expected more from the RX 7900 XT. Mine has been 3.3-4 mil PPD over that past 5 days. It was pushing 5 mil PPD before the last tree fell in my neighborhood. :rolleyes:

Thanks for running the test! WTF! :)

Ok here it is, it looks like we hover around 300 W+ and 4.8 Mil PPD over a 24 hr period. I also have F@H set for Parkinsons whether or not that makes a difference.

f@h.jpg

Ugly. These aren't too efficient compared to NV cards.

Is that a driver thing or has AMD always been that way for F@H?

Ugly. These aren't too efficient compared to NV cards.

Is that a driver thing or has AMD always been that way for F@H?
I honestly don't know, I would have thought it would be better since it has double the FP32 capabilities of the 6900 series but performs only slightly better

My thoughts were that AMD's code to run Cuda isn't nearly as efficient as Nvidia. I don't know about openCL/GL.
AMD doesn't run CUDA, which is proprietary to Nvidia. AMD only uses OpenCL (open compute language) CUDA can be up to 30% faster in general. They both use FP32 computing, the 7900XT's theoretical FP32 performance is 51.6 TFLOPS, and the 4070 Ti is 40 TFLOPS. So with a 30% advantage, you would think they'd still be relatively close. Is it possible that F@H has been streamlined for CUDA?

Here's a note from the AMD Adrenalin 22.7.1 update. Clearly they still have some work to do. Current driver for the 6000 series is 22.11.2 & 22.12.1 for the 7000 series.

Fixed Issues​

• Lower than expected Folding@home™ compute performance with OpenCL™ API on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6800.

AMD doesn't run CUDA, which is proprietary to Nvidia. AMD only uses OpenCL (open compute language) CUDA can be up to 30% faster in general. They both use FP32 computing, the 7900XT's theoretical FP32 performance is 51.6 TFLOPS, and the 4070 Ti is 40 TFLOPS. So with a 30% advantage, you would think they'd still be relatively close. Is it possible that F@H has been streamlined for CUDA?

I wonder if the AMD Pro driver (compute driver) would function better than the Adrenalin driver. I might give that a try at some point just to see, but I will need to install the Adrenalin driver for gaming after the test.

The answer is still no; porting CUDA apps through a translator doesn't really count. Nvidia keeps their stuff close to the chest
My point was that cuda creates higher performance in fah. AMD does not run it natively hence it can't match Nvidia's performance. You agreed with what I said....

I thought that 15-30% was improvement over what nvidia currently had done. Not that it was 30% faster than AMD.

Last edited:
CUDA is about 30% faster at everything in general compared to OpenCL, was my point. It's possible whoever designed the F@H core has boosted that even more

Back