• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new system locking up, problem unknown

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intrepid

I constructed a system for a friend recently, using parts they picked out. The problem is that the system locks up during games no matter the video card settings used.

The system is: AMD Athlon64 3000+ on ASUS A8N-E (NForce4), ATI x1600, 2GB crucial memory, 350W alied PSU, the HDD and optical drives are all from a previos computer but really are of no consiquence to this problem I'm sure.

I installed windows XP pro executive, installed SP2, chipset drivers, video card drivers, sound card drivers, and all up dates. everyting was downloaded so as to have the latest versions, and the BIOS was updated prior to installing chipset drivers.

games like WoW and elder scrolls oblivion are randomly freezing up within 30 minuits of play regardless of the graphics settings.

I am given to believe it could either be an issue with the PSU or RAM, the chip is used but I believe still in good condition. Any theories or suggestions or tests I should run would be appriciated, even the newbie suggestions are good cause I might have missed something obvious.

Back