• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does anyone else wait for the computer to come to them?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beavismorpheus

Parts fluctuate in price so often, ive started only buying things off of deal sites when theyre super cheap instead of going out and buying something right in the moment i need it.

im saving a lot of money, but you have to start out with quite a bit to be able to scoup up and sit on lots of parts. its feels like the stock market

do u not run into the risk of buying parts u will never use??

i would think in the long run u would waste money on things u dont need

however i would love 2 be sitting on a large pile of parts........
i guess if u have the money 2 spend go for it

well, when you score things like a brand new $50 250gb hdd or $80 socket 754 proc+mobo combo, its easy to get rid of them. As long as you dont wait too long.

I've been doing that in the classies here on and off.

Deals sometimes popup for good processor/CPU combos and I'll pick those up, with the idea that I might already have some RAM lying around from a previous upgrade, and maybe a slightly older video card that will work. Then from there I might end up upgrading the video card, which then leaves more spare parts around where I'll look for the missing piece again.

Ends up being an endless cycle of building slightly out of date PCs that still can play and BOINC.

As long as you can move the parts - otherwise your deals may become the norm as prices continually fall.

I know that small computer shops do this to increase their profits, as long as they can move their product quickly. That's why Newegg does so well.

Nah, but then again, I practicaly never upgrade my compy :D If my count is accurate, I've made a grand total of 9 changes from the original hardware I bought 4 years ago (RAM, Video Card, Sound Card, TV Card, DVD Burner, HD, PSU, Speakers, Mouse). Mabey I should try it -- I think I'd get a faster system quicker that way ;)

JigPu

Back