• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new rig now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

secure

Registered
hey guys :welcome:, im just seeking sum input from u guys, if i should buy parts for a new rig right now, i have about 500 bucks canadian. im wondering if i should upgrade. my current system is a nf7-s amd 2500+ @ 3200+ 512mb ddr, 9700 pro. Do u guys really think its worth my moeny to upgrade my comp right now? this might be the last upgrade for a while too. Besides that this rig is used mainly for gaming...any input is helpful. (im just really clueless of what i should do lol with all these new things coming in soon...conroe...socket am2 etc...)

I would go with one of the ULI mobo or something you can use you agp card on and a 146 opty sence they are around 150 bux.

So

200 bux for a chip
100 for a board
that leaves either
200 for a better card or
100 for a nice drive
and 100 for a nice psu.

You said canadian sry that is all USD.

jonspd said:
I would go with one of the ULI mobo or something you can use you agp card on and a 146 opty sence they are around 150 bux.

So

200 bux for a chip
100 for a board
that leaves either
200 for a better card or
100 for a nice drive
and 100 for a nice psu.

You said canadian sry that is all USD.
well im planning to reuse my psu and my 2x80gb hdd (since im more off a hardcore gamer, i dont really download stuff) so i think thats alright, but it seems that from what ur saying i should upgrade...but what is a uli lol? do u mean an out dated board?

No it's probably the next best thing to a NF4 chipset board for amd cpu's.

Asrock like in my sig has one and epox's should be hitting the street's if not already on them.

If your going to OC then you may need a better PSU if your going to run everything stock you may not.

jonspd said:
No it's probably the next best thing to a NF4 chipset board for amd cpu's.

Asrock like in my sig has one and epox's should be hitting the street's if not already on them.

If your going to OC then you may need a better PSU if your going to run everything stock you may not.
o i see, well i have a enermax 460p so i think its fine? for the new rig?

jonspd said:
Are you planing on overclocking the system?
i might and i might not, cuz i havent seen the cooling yet hehe, hmmm but i think im staying stock for a while.

Last edited:
Should be fine @ stock speeds. Also as for cooling most of the new OPTY's are pertty good as far as stock cooler's go.

jonspd said:
Should be fine @ stock speeds. Also as for cooling most of the new OPTY's are pertty good as far as stock cooler's go.
hey i was checking out the prices again and came up with this..

what do u think of this? rig?
DFI NF4-DAGF Socket 939 nVidia nForce4 Dual-Ch DDR400 6-Ch Audio GB Lan Raid 0/1 IEEE 1394 1 PCI-E x16 $104.00
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8 GHz Socket 939 (Retail Box) $159.99
XFX GeForce 6800 GS 256MB DDR3 XXX Edition Core 485MHz Memory 1.1GHz
(PV-T42G-UAD3) $229.00

or should i go with this

Intel Pentium 4 630 3 GHz ( 800 MHz ) - L2 2 MB - Box
(BX80547PG3000F) $204.00
2 sticks of these noname 1GB (1024MB) PC4200 DDR2 533MHz 240-pin Unbuffered DIMM $89.(89*2)
XFX GeForce 6800 GS 256MB DDR3 XXX Edition Core 485MHz Memory 1.1GHz
(PV-T42G-UAD3) $229.00
Asus P5PL2 Socket 775 Intel 945PL Chipset Dual-Core Ready Dual-Ch DDRII 533 Serial ATAII 6-Ch Audio GB Lan $117.99
for this rig i would need to save up abit more tho....

AFAIK the a643000 isn't going to be as good of a choice as an 146 opty also with that MOBO I think you will need a 24 pin psu.

jonspd said:
AFAIK the a643000 isn't going to be as good of a choice as an 146 opty also with that MOBO I think you will need a 24 pin psu.
o ok. thx for the inputs.

Just take a look @ both sections amd/intel from day to day and you will be able to figure out what you need to get.

There is thread's everyday in each section about what to buy for XXX dollar's/

O and BTW sence this is your 1st day as a member Welcome To The Forums

Welcome..
and the yoanh mobo's are around, if you can get your hands on one core duo would be the top dog for the moment in performace. (not that its the absloute best bang for the buck right now)
what do you want to do with your rig? game?

ya, it is for gaming. and alota multi tasking(well i game more tho hehe), ive been looking around the forums for a few days and ive seen sum pretty nice deals such as, pd 805, p5p800se seems pretty good cuz i can reuse my parts 9700pro, and 1gb of ram(it just fits perfect in my budget, as of now 320 bucks includes tax for the cpu and mobo) so alright i guess, or i could always save my money up, and just get a amd dual core after am2 comes out :) and thx for the :welcome:

Last edited:
Back