• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

crappy NVraid 1 dead...need 500GB HDD...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JenBell

Hello People,

So...my crappy WD 250GBs in raid 1 failed. Instead of using them as seperate drives I thought it would be kool to use the nv side of things for a change...yep I know... :bang head

Anyways...I am going shopping for some HDDs. I will use the WDs to create a NAS sort of thing :eh?: not something I was planning but who cares...

So to replace them I want 2 500GBs which I will run off the silicon raid chip which in my eyes has been just awesome :eh?: ....yep...still working :)

I read recently that the hitachi was are like the best ones to get. Is it worth paying the extra money for it?

While I am at it, might as well replace the 74raptors for one 150gb and free up some space...damn my case is like soooo packed...most of it crap though...hmmm...ok...er...sorry its late night and keep getting distracted by koda kumi...she is sooo kooool.

So....what 500GB sata 1/2 hdd to get?

Thank u people :eh?:

Edit....

Its funny...just when u need help or advice...no one is around...

So I got myself nothing I originally planned to get but I am not complaining...finally...got network storage...awesome

Last edited:
I'm currently trying to find the 'cudas 7200.9 ST3500641AS at a decent price. I'm of the mindset that I want more than a terabyte, reasonable speed (>200MBs) on reads and writes, and a solid warranty process when they fail.

Seagate has a 5 Yr warranty -- so I'm sold.

The Cuda's aren't the fastest drives in that size out there, but they hang close and with the 4 to 6 drive RAID 1+0 that I'll be setting up, small speed iterations just aren't that important to me.

I checked in w/outpost -- They will have some in on the 15th... and at less than 50 cents a GB... So I"m watching the calendar...

Well...Just in the process of backing up all my data and tidying up before I install....

Ok, so I went to the shops and was looking and then well....

I bought 2x74GB raptors knowing that the raid cpu only supports 150 if I use the silicon or 300 if I use the NVraid thing.
I think the nvraid thing is crap but the using non-raid setup is fine...has been so far anyways.
So silicon with 4x74Gb raptors...this is going to be fun.
I also bought a 400GB lacie ethernet external hdd thing which I always wanted and then got myself another lacie 320 usb hdd for extra storage.
I am thinking, I can use some software to handle the backups, I will look into this later.
The 2 WD 320 stata drives. Gonna take them out and wait a little while, I am sure I will be buying a larger nas case which will take ide and sata hdd's...then I can use my the WDs and the old 36gb raptors I still have in storage.
I am not good at throwing PC related things away...get kind of emtional over them.

Anyways...wanted 500gb HDDs...went for something totally different and still smiling. Oh and my sis is coo-ing at how kool the lacie drive looks....its just something about blue lights that make me and my baby sis go all gooey...ok...see u around.

Oh and never had a cuda before. I think I might try them next time....thanks! Have a nice day...night...whatever...smile...ur cute!

Back