• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading NB cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scott d

right now I've got the Zalman NB cooler, this one
yhst-24067115789173_1890_2716786

Wondering if it would be a good idea to upgrade to a better heatsink/fan combo, or even get a waterblock for it? Would that offer any sort of performance boost, or would I be better off slapping a 40mm fan on my current sink and be done with it?

Something needs to be done, currently it gets pretty hot, I think it's hurting/preventing me from OCing my RAM.

Many of the NF2 boards were only equipped with passive cooling on the chipset and performed quite well. That heatsink is no doubt better than a stock cooler. Of course a fan for extra cooling is always an added plus.

rseven said:
Many of the NF2 boards were only equipped with passive cooling on the chipset and performed quite well. That heatsink is no doubt better than a stock cooler. Of course a fan for extra cooling is always an added plus.

Yeah, when I used to frequent the Abit forums, this was one of the favorite NB coolers, provided there's adequate airflow in the case. Since I switched to water cooling I've got less air blowing over the sink, so I'm thinking that a fan would be nice. Just wondering if I should buy a fan, or spend a bit more and get a better sink too. The only reason I was thinking about a waterblock is because I've already got the components, and a good heatsink is about the same price as a waterblock.

Put a fan on it and be done with it. Northbridges don't put out enough heat for a fancy heatsink to be worth the time effort money or risk.

Back