• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sorry to have to do this too you...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jdrake90

Hey all...

Getting ready to paint my toaster oven for a case... (don't ask why i'm putting in a separate thread...) and I need some links to in depth case painting instruction.

I'm now the 30 million'th person to ask... sue me;-)

JDrake90

STUPID ME!!!! I was looking only at the stickies in that section... and missed the entire bottom part...

Shoot me now!

Jdrake90

and make sure you use different kinds of paints for the different materials. paints for plastic and paints for metal.

I was actually going to make a thread similar to this, so with your permission I'd like to semi-thread jack and get some info that just might help us both.... :D

I'm planning on painting my case (aluminum case and plastic front), and I was looking into what paint I need to buy. I am NOT looking for the shiny case look I want a matte finish if possible, and I did read the sticky (when the linked guide worked). But I found that the guide was on how to get a mirror finish.

I was thinking about the Krylon Fusion (sp?) spray, but I'm not so sure, so I thought I'd ask and just maybe jdrake can get some extra info too.

Last edited:
Actually... most of the links are dead for the modded and stickys... anyway to get some updates?

JDrake90

Krylon fusion works great for plastics. they have matte finish, glossy, flat, and even hammered look. I would not reccomend it on anything other than plastic though. Use the regulare Krylon matte for the metal components. Be sure to clean all of your materials before priming and painting. Keeps from getting fish eyes and cuts down on dust and trash in the paint.

There are different paints I generally stick to rustoleum for metals or for High Gloss I hit up the Auto Parts stores. I have used Dupli-color paints several times and I have always gotten good results.

Now to get good results you need to do the following.

1 Sand and prep the surface. Do a good job at this. While sanding look for any imperfections that you may need to touch up. Sharp raised edges around cutouts, small dings or deep scratches. File/sand the sharp edges down flush and a little bondo goes a long way to making things look nice.

2) Wiping it down. Wipe it down with lint free cloths and alcohol. I don't recommend anything stronger. Why? because you generally don't know what paint they used and a stronger solvent may cause the paint you didn't sand off to become tacky and smear.

3) After drying wipe down with a tack cloth. I know you used lint free cloths but trust me there is still dust and fibers there. Don't rub hard just a light wipe over the entire area.

4) Primering- I highly recommend giving your paint project a good coat of primer. I recommend sandable primer just in case you mess up and get a drip. Now is a good time to perfect your painting technique as well. Since primer is much more forgiving then paint.

5) The primer dries pretty quickly in most cases in under a hour. Take the oppourtunity now to look over the case again. Painted a different color gives the case a whole new perspective to your eyes and you may see something you missed.

6) If you sanded it or worked on it at all. Wipe it down with alcohol again and a tack cloth. If not wipe it down again anyway. I have had more then a few hairs or dust ruin an otherwise perfect paint job.

7) Painting- When you paint. Do it in a ventilated and well lit area but keep it shielded from any nasty outside dust carrying wind or other nasties. So before you paint clean up your area well and dust and vacuum if need be. You will regret it if you don't

8) Maintain the proper distance from the case as instructed on the can. Paint in light coats. I generally do the first coat up and down wait a few minutes. Then the second left to right. This ensures good coverage and you not going over the same aread twice in two heavy coats. Be in a comfortable position when you paint. You don't want to move around too much if you do you may forget where exactly you left off giving you a heavy or thin spot in the paint.

9) When you are finished with the coat give it a good once over to look for any areas you missed. Then close any doors you have open and leave the area immediately. No sense hanging around checking out your work as a piece of lint or hair from your shirt or body drops off into the paint.

10) Additional coats.It is basically the same all over again except this time you scuff sand with fine sand paper, wipe it down, tack cloth, re-coat.

Keep the coats light and consistant and work in a well lit area.

That should help a little bit.

I really cannot stress the importance of the .99 cent tack cloth. Trust me no matter how good of a lint free rag you use you will still leave lint and dust behind this has been the difference in the past between an Ah **** and a good job.

Back