• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need to prime my Nemesis GTS Rads that are Black?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NitrousX

Registered
Hi there Guys
I'm posting this again as the post was removed due to rollback on the forums.
Original post was that I have 2x Nemesis GTS 280 Rads. Bought these about 4 years ago they are black and I would like to paint them white.
Was doing some research and some ppl were suggesting that you need to sand them down and potentially use a primer before using the colour paint you want.

I saw this video
where Hardware labs had given performance PC a set of nemesis GTS's in white where you could already paint the rads to a different colour.

Because mine are black and the the ones in the video are white, would I need to use a primer before painting them white?

If so what would I need?

I believe I would need 3M Tape, Sand paper, bracket and possibly a air filter to keep reduce particles going into my lungs etc is there anything else I would need to consider getting?
I know that I would also need to rinse the rads with distilled water too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

I painted some rads in the past, was quite simple. Tape off the fins and the fitting holes. Scuff the outside with sandpaper, very light sanding. Just do it outside and there's no need to have a mask or anything on. You could even use some fine steel wool instead of sandpaper.
Then hit it with the new paint, keep the coats light and even. More light coats are better than less heavy coats.

Here's where I posted about this in the past:
https://www.overclockers.com/forums...-Server-Mods?p=7658237&viewfull=1#post7658237

During the first days of watercooling, we used heatercores. I painted several since they come bare metal. Be sure the fins are clean so the masking tape will stick. I used 3M scuff pads so the outer shell will accept the primer and paint better. Be sure to clean the outer shell well before you start painting. Prepping the surface properly will result in a great paint job. There are plenty of videos to show you how to spray paint items. As Austin stated: use several thin coats lightly. Use primer first, wait till the primer dries fully before painting.

Take your time and don't rush the paint job. I took a week prepping and painting my heatercores. Since I worked at an Auto body repair shop at the time, my paint job came out awesome.

During the first days of watercooling, we used heatercores. I painted several since they come bare metal. Be sure the fins are clean so the masking tape will stick. I used 3M scuff pads so the outer shell will accept the primer and paint better. Be sure to clean the outer shell well before you start painting. Prepping the surface properly will result in a great paint job. There are plenty of videos to show you how to spray paint items. As Austin stated: use several thin coats lightly. Use primer first, wait till the primer dries fully before painting.

Take your time and don't rush the paint job. I took a week prepping and painting my heatercores. Since I worked at an Auto body repair shop at the time, my paint job came out awesome.

Thank you guys i'll get either sand paper or 3m scuff pads. Which particular primer should i get i was thinking of using this one from amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001EJ1SMK/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_8?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1 it says it for aluminium would this be ok? Also when i then come to paint in my colour i want can i use any paint or again does it need to be a particular paint material that adheres to both the primer and the metal too?

I wouldn't bother with primer. It's unnecessary since they aren't bare metal.

Back