• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP-90 or ZALMAN CNPS9500?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheSonOfX51

Disabled
Im running a FX-55 on a Neo 2 Platnium and want to overclock it but currently Im getting 45C on idle and 52 on load on prime95. I was getting 55C on load with the stock cooler and now Im using the XP-90. Ive reapplied thermal paste twice to try to lower temps to see if that was the problem but I just can get them to lower. So Ive been thinking about getting the newer zalman cooler to see if I can lower the temps low enough to overclock.

Should I keep my XP-90 or should I get the zalman? Does anyone have any ideas to lower the temps with the XP-90? Could my temps be reporting wrong? My cpu cooler itself is only about 34 degrees at the base when I use an infared temp sensor. Any ideas or opinions are welcome. Im also thinking about getting a dual core opteron this summer and trying to get it to 2.7 so an cpu cooler that I would get would have to be able to cool that too. :shrug:

Try changing out the fan/ orientation of the fan on the xp90 and see if that makes any difference. Oh yea, clean out any dust w. compressed air (canned air, not from a compressor)

did that

I did clean it out and Ive tried changing the direction of air. After reappling the thermal paste, I burned it in and everything but it still just wont go any lower than 45C.

Last edited:
Im using a medium cfm fan right now. But still, isnt that a little high? Thats why I was thinking of buying the zalman. Plus, the zalman is near silent.

I think it may be due to the fact that it is a .13nm core not a .09nm core right? the larger cores run WAY hotter. Also check on re-routing some of the cables inside the case, and making sure that there is a good amount of air getting in and out of the case.

Clawhammer FX55s are 130nm while San Diego FX55s are 90nm.

The 9500 would probably do better than the XP90 but you have another issue here and the 9500 wouldn't solve that problem (the temps are high for some other reason).

I'm very happy with my 9500 but one thing you need to know is this. If you decide to lap the HS it's not that easy to keep it nice and flat ( design of the Finns are in the way)
i just did my two days ago and i took me about 4 1/2 Hr to get perfect flat on 2500 grid paste( started with 600/1000/1600/2000 sand paper than 2500 polishing cream)

it's great performer by lapping my HS i drooped ~7C :)

Back