• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Opteron 165 Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mordith

Registered
I've been overclocking slowly over the last few weeks and I seem to have hit a wall at 2.6GHz. Here's my overclocking log so far:

2.4 at stock volts
2.5 at 1.375 volts
2.6 at 1.4 volts

Core 0 runs perfectly stable at 2.6 with 1.36 volts but Core 1 won't run Prime95 for more than a minute. It takes 1.4 volts to get core 1 stable at 2.6. So i've tried burning it in some more to see if I can get it stable at a lower vcore but it doesn't seem to be working at all. Am I supposed to burn it in for more than 14 hours to see any noticeable improvements?

I've also tried 2.7GHz at 1.55 volts with load temps of 38°C but it wasn't completely stable. I didn't want increase the vcore any higher because I was afraid of causing damage to my cpu. Does anyone know what the highest safe vcore is for everyday use?

Tottaly dependent on temps. With a load at 38C i would say give it a little more juice. My general rule of thumb is 1.6v on air, 1.65v if you have good temps. My experience on these cpu's has been higher volts = less stability. I've found that there is a sweet spot more or less. At a certain point the cpu will generally stop responding to more volts and it actually becomes counter productive due to the increase in temps. In your case with a load temp at 38C on 1.55v i would say you're safe to test a little higher to see if it yeilds results.

Have you ruled out all other hardware as being the problem? Many times when the CPU won't go any higher, the memory/board/cooling ect ect can be at play.

I'm running at 2.7GHz at 1.4 volts as I type this and Core 1 is running stable but Core 0 fails Prime95. So I'm pretty sure its not my motherboard or ram thats causing the problem. I think its the week core thats holding me back. I'm going to try upping the vcore again and see if I can get it stable.

I tried getting Core 1 stable at 2.7GHz and I got it to run Prime95 from anywhere between 37-45 min before it gets an error. This was done at 1.525 volts and increasing it to 1.55 didn't help stabilize it. I might try burning it in for another 14-20 hours or so and see if that helps. If not I might try increasing the vcore again but it doesn't look like its worth it to run it at such a high vcore just to gain an extra 100MHz.

Back