• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do YOU watch movies on your PC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mdameron

Daggum!

It's either VERY ugly, or running choppy!

All I want to do is pop in a DVD, open up *whatever prog here* and press play!

Tried some guide with FFDshow and dscaler... wow that half sucked / half rocked. (waaaay too much set up and tweaking)

Windows media will play it, but it won't do 5.1... and PowerDVD won't do 5.1 unless you pay for the full version.

My current setup looks GREAT in windowed mode (it's k-lite codec pack), but when i click full screen (so i can lay down and watch or whatever), it looks all grainy and stuff. I know it's not "why LCD's suck"... I challenge someone to watch me play AoE3 on my rig at 1280x1024 and say it ain't gorgeous...

please help... someone knows something that I don't, and I aim to find out what it is. :)

I use WMP10 with nvidia DVD codec. Setthe dvd options in WMp for 5.1 sopund for my surround system nad lay back and watch them play

I stay away from installing Mega codec packs as having too many codecs installed on your system can cause play back issues

DVD DivX Xvid and ac3 filter is all I need. :)

CAnt comment on the LCD,, I had one and sold it cause it sucked... Sticking with CRT

Hmm although I recall the LCD reviews at XS pretty much every LCD was either good at gaming OR good at movies but not both...

What operating system is being use? (A question that should not have to be asked)

I've always used the K-Lite Mega Pack and BSplayer. Perhaps your overlay settings are jacked up? I know mine used to go wierd with theatre mode enabled when I had a 5900U.

I just popped a DVD in tonight and realized that simple WMP cannot play the file. Downloaded a sharewhare of DVD X Player for trial to test out. If it wouldn't be for me running Napster in the background, I don't think any of the jittering would be going on. Otherwise I seem to like it a lot.

diggression about Napster to understand my reasoning why its causing jitters
--(random spouts of taking 95-99% CPU, and jumps from 30,000 to 100,000+k memory usage. Once everything was slowing down and opened TM and it was using 700,000k memory!!!) --

Have you tried Media Player Classic? It looks old school, but it's a wonderfully sleek and simple interface and very nice in the resource usage department. It shouldn't have trouble playing back DVD's without a codec pack, although I use ffdshow myself.

johan851 said:
Have you tried Media Player Classic? It looks old school, but it's a wonderfully sleek and simple interface and very nice in the resource usage department. It shouldn't have trouble playing back DVD's without a codec pack, although I use ffdshow myself.

I also use Media Player Classic. I like it a lot and highly recommend it to others.

I watch avi files with bs player, dvds with power dvd and I capture TV stream from my STB with vlc.

I run Linux 24/7, so when I want to watch a movie, I will either use MPlayer or Kaboodle.

VLC media player, does dvd's, divx movies... just about anything. If you truly have an uncommon codec im pretty sure there are codecs for it somewhere.

Back