• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

questions for Exchange admins about migration

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nahmus

Hi all,
I did an exchange migration from exchange 2000 to exchange 2003. After fixing schema and DC errors the migration went smoothly. No errors on 300+ mailboxes.

This morning some people were crashing to desktop when opening their outlook 2003 and clicking on sent items. When i went into the same mailbox with webaccess it was fine. I could not see anything wrong with the outlook configuration.

I used EXmerge to copy the mailbox data out, delete the mailbox, re-create the mailbox and merge the data back in. That seemed to work. My problem is that I cant figure out why?

There were no errors during the migration. I moved the mailboxes in groups of 25.

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

thanks!

This may not be much help, but I'm almost positive the problem is caused by OL2003... even if you have SP2 installed (SP2 contains a number of fixes re: moving of mailboxes, but unfortunately not one for what you're experiencing). The only possible workaround I know of offhand is to disable cached mode (in Control Panel | Mail), then re-enabling it after the move.

thanks for the reply redduc900

I played around with the cached mode and it really did not help. I think that the problem is somewhere in OL2003. If appears that OL2000 does not cause the crash. The hard part is that it crashes without an error.

I've been googling and nothing seems to be popping out. So far the mergeing out and back in seems to be fixing it. There are a couple of tools that I could run aginst the mailbox store but at this point I think i'll handle is as it comes. Gonna leave the error on 2 test mailboxes so i can keep working on it.

nahmus said:
The hard part is that it crashes without an error.
The error(s) should have been logged, and should be visible in Event Viewer. If you can find any logged errors, post a couple of them in this thread... although I'd bet they're related to OL2003. If you haven't already, updating both OL and ES to SP2 might be of some help re: your situation... it may be worth a try.

Last edited:
You could try change the logging level in ESM of the server(s) in question to help track down the problem. Right click Server, select Properties, open Diagnostics Logging tab.

From left hand list expand MSExchangeIS then highlight System & Mailbox. From the list in the right hand pane set the relevant items to maximum.

Back