• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Themes...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Starbo

Registered
O.K, so I finally got my rig up and running - still needs a few tweaks etc but it's working :)

Now I want to change the theme in XP to something a little more dazzling. Question is what's the best program to use? I was playing with windows blinds but it seems to take up a lot of resources.

Can anyone recommend a decent, low resource proggy?

Many thanks. :)

I DL themes from whatever site and then just usea ptached uxtheme.dll.

But I believe styleXP and WB should not use any resources while not specificaly running the application. It will use resources while you are tinkering but there is a box to uncheck that makes it not run at windwos startup... so its basically just a GUI for doig what I do manually.

Actually I dont even do it manually anymore I hacked the uxtheme.dll used modifyPE to make it offical and then cabbed it and replaced the exsisting one on my xp install disk :)

Starbo said:
Thanks for the link dude... how do I use the dll though?! lol
from the download page said:
How to use this file:
1) Download the file and extract in a handy location (eg: your Desktop). This should create a new uxtheme.dll file in that location.
2) Go to C:WINDOWS\System32 and rename uxtheme.dll to uxtheme.dll.old
3) Put the new uxtheme.dll into C:WINDOWS\System32
4) If you get any warnings from Windows stating that an original system file has been replaced, you must click "Cancel", otherwise the new uxtheme.dll will be replaced with the original one.
5) Reboot

I already have the theme I want to use, is this method compatible with all themes?
It works for themes designed for StyleXP, but not with themes designed for WindowBlinds.

Back