• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 2K pro much faster then Win XP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bdf24

Just wiped out Win XP and did a clean install of Win 2K PRO. Man win 2k is so much faster! I have yet to play any games. But I do have SP2 installed. From what I hear most games will run on win 2k with the latest service pack. I'll let you know.

bdf24 said:
Just wiped out Win XP and did a clean install of Win 2K PRO. Man win 2k is so much faster! I have yet to play any games. But I do have SP2 installed. From what I hear most games will run on win 2k with the latest service pack. I'll let you know.

I wouldn't bet on it that all games would run on it EVEN after SP2..

I doubt it had corrected its DX compatiblity..

Last time I tried to play NBA Live 2001 on Win2K it wouldn't let me even after SP2.. I realy like Win XP ;p

You guys gotta really make up your minds LOL.

what do you mean I gotta make up my mind. I've never ran Win2K till now. I'ts actually pretty similiar to XP without all the extra stuff I don't need anyway. like i said i have'nt tried any games yet. but i will.

Last edited:
Yodums said:
Until all games are functional on Win2K I'll switch over.. But probably not I hate formating.

I'm getting sick of it too. I'm just experimenting with them all. Either way. XP and 2K beat 98 hands down. Mainly for stability. I'ts nice having a stable OS! Also most of the games I play are new games. So theres a better chance they will run.

yes i do prefer win2kpro over xp also.

it does run faster, esps on older machines.

i havent had any problems with any of the games i play.

sfa ok said:
I'm going back to Win2k now, because XP is bloated, and I just got my SP3 to test. :D

sp3 is out? how did you get it?

xp is faster than win2k trust me it will run games better.

I've tweaked and tweaked WinXP and it still ran slower then 2K did on a fresh install with no tweaking. So far all of the games I play run fine. So I'm satisfied as of right now.

bdf24 said:
I've tweaked and tweaked WinXP and it still ran slower then 2K did on a fresh install with no tweaking. So far all of the games I play run fine. So I'm satisfied as of right now.

Well what do you think your fresh cleaned OS and a Win XP OS which you've ran for some time now..

And benchmark have proven that Win XP is faster.. I do agree that Win2K is great for every machine and that Win XP is a "system hog" using alot of your system... I'm at the minimum requirements of Windows XP and it still runs great.. And I love the new look something fresh to look at rather than that old gross look :)

The only games I can't run on here are games that require Real Mode DOS. Windows 2000 doesn't like to let anything other than the kernel talk to the hardware.

Win XP is far more superior on my machine then Win 2K pro SP2 in every aspect most of all it's ALOT faster better stability and much better game play......

i think winxp and win2k the same
but winxp boots faster after running bootvis and stuff like that
i like it a lot now
but win2k the games wouldnt work....well at least some wont

As long as I can get the games I play to work it's fine for me. I play mostly newer games anyway.

You'll notice a huge difference lets say you were on my computer hehe.. But the only reason I chose XP over win2k is it compatiblity!

Well I think once SP3 comes out for Win2K you'll see almost all of those compatibility issues disappear. XP is good though. I would consider reinstalling it once I get a faster cpu and more ram.

bdf24 said:
Well I think once SP3 comes out for Win2K you'll see almost all of those compatibility issues disappear. XP is good though. I would consider reinstalling it once I get a faster cpu and more ram.

I think your system is fine.. Doubles the requirements cept for the ram..

What do you think Win XP Pro will be like when it has SP1.. Alot of things will change hehe :) like all the bugs and stuff.

I installed Win XP on my dads machine. He's got a T-Bird 1.2 gig w/512 megs of ram. There's a night and day difference in speed running Win XP between his machine and mine. And that was with my system tweaked and everything standard in on his.I think a lot of a was due to him having twice as much ram as me. Cause Win XP is a resource hog.

bdf24 said:
I installed Win XP on my dads machine. He's got a T-Bird 1.2 gig w/512 megs of ram. There's a night and day difference in speed running Win XP between his machine and mine. And that was with my system tweaked and everything standard in on his.I think a lot of a was due to him having twice as much ram as me. Cause Win XP is a resource hog.

Yes Win XP is a ram hogger.. and I think you should have at least 512 mb..

Back