• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internet explorer help please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sno.lcn

Senior2 Member
I have a client who is having trouble with her internet explorer. Being a Firefox user, I have never had this problem so I wouldn't know how to deal with it. When she's viewing a web page, if she clicks a link that opens a new window, the window flashes and then goes away. If she grabs the title bar before it goes away, the window will stay, but keeps making a beeping noise until she lets go and/or clicks inside the window somewhere. Pop-up blocker is turned off, and I can't seem to find any way to fix this problem. It doesn't happen on every time though, only on certain sites, but it seems to happen more with secure(https) sites. Any ideas?

*Edit: OS is XP pro sp2(I believe) and IE6

Last edited:
This def. seems to either be a firewall (3rd party and windows) issue or spyware.

I would def crawl through their ad remove programs list and then run a scan with adaware and spybot.

All the chips point towards firewall/pop up blocker

You didn't mention which OS or version of IE she's using, but if IE is version 5.5 or later I would try this... Open My Computer | View | Folder options | File types (or Control Panel | Folder options, depending on your OS). Scroll down to... URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocols, click "edit" twice and make sure the following is in the 'Application used to perform action' box:

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome

The same applies for URL:Gopher

"DDE" should be set to: "%1",,-1,0,,,,
"Application" should say: IExplore
"DDE application not running" should be blank
"Topic" should be: WWW_OpenURL

SinsFeelNatural said:
This def. seems to either be a firewall (3rd party and windows) issue or spyware.

I would def crawl through their ad remove programs list and then run a scan with adaware and spybot.

All the chips point towards firewall/pop up blocker
She does have lavasoft ad-watch running, but I think it was doing that before she installed it.

Back