• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crossfire Headaches!! :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TrunkZ

Registered
ok i've been uninstalling and reinstalling different drivers all day... the problem is, in certain games i play such as condemned, ghost recon advanced warfighter, and even tomb raider legend..i get major slow downs. my framerate drops to like 10-30fps. when i run single mode it runs the games much faster. when i play games like call of duty 2, half life 2, and battlefield 2 the crossfire seems to get its act together and run all the games faster than single. i dont get what the problem is? can anyone help?

TTP said:
try renaming the executable to fear.exe or AFR-Friendly.exe.

what do you mean by that? i see you have crossfire..does these games work with your setup?

when i start tomb raider in crossfire..the video is in black checkers..then i skip it and head to the main menu and the gfx are no longer corrupted..but the fps are the worse..

TrunkZ said:
what do you mean by that? i see you have crossfire..does these games work with your setup?

an executable is the thing you click on to make the program work (execute)

renaming is when you give it another name. This should be an option if u right click on it.

That means the executable itself, not just a shortcut to it.

I don't know if that works for your problem but hopefully you know how to start a program now.

DeepScience said:
an executable is the thing you click on to make the program work (execute)

renaming is when you give it another name. This should be an option if u right click on it.

That means the executable itself, not just a shortcut to it.

I don't know if that works for your problem but hopefully you know how to start a program now.

sorry for being stupid about that..but i knew what he meant. i was curious that would changing a exe filename, improve the gameplay... well it seems it did work for GRAW, and Condemned..Tomb Raider legend still feels like i'm playing with a single card...i compared the framerate and they are about equal. and i think its pretty stupid that crossfire users have to do this...

TrunkZ said:
sorry for being stupid about that..but i knew what he meant. i was curious that would changing a exe filename, improve the gameplay... well it seems it did work for GRAW, and Condemned..Tomb Raider legend still feels like i'm playing with a single card...i compared the framerate and they are about equal. and i think its pretty stupid that crossfire users have to do this...

Yes, it's awkward, but until ATI puts out a tool that lets us create customized profiles for games, it remains a useful workaround. What we're doing by renaming the executable is making use of pre-existing profiles that are optimized for xfire performance. There are differences in the profiles because some games don't work well when renamed as fear.exe but work fine using AFR-FriendlyD3D.exe. There are other profiles as well. http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33854528

p.s. made a mistake in my earlier post. The rename should be 'AFR-FriendlyD3D.exe'. Try using 'sam2.exe' for Tomb Raider Legends.

TTP said:
Yes, it's awkward, but until ATI puts out a tool that lets us create customized profiles for games, it remains a useful workaround. What we're doing by renaming the executable is making use of pre-existing profiles that are optimized for xfire performance. There are differences in the profiles because some games don't work well when renamed as fear.exe but work fine using AFR-FriendlyD3D.exe. There are other profiles as well. http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33854528

p.s. made a mistake in my earlier post. The rename should be 'AFR-FriendlyD3D.exe'. Try using 'sam2.exe' for Tomb Raider Legends.

i get the same results with sam2.exe as i do with fear.exe and AFR-FriendlyD3D.exe.. maybe its just me but just how well does legends suppose to run on a crossfire setup?

I don't really know what the associated performance of Tomb Raiders Legend is on a xfire setup. I don't have that game. YMMV.

When running xfire, you must have Catalyst AI enabled.

it seems renaming all the files to CoD2SP_s did the trick...all games boost 50% or more in performance :D.. i guessed CoD2SP_s would do it..so i tried it.

Back