• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Performance difference in Home, Pro or 64bit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CT Raider

Registered
Would there be a difference in my computer performance by switching from Win XP Home to Pro or 64?:confused:

See below for my specs. :D

I hear 64 provides a little boost for x64 processors, but not much. Personally I don't see much difference between home and pro.

64bit will just boot a little faster, besides that you won't see a difference due to the lack of 64bit applications.

Visually and performance wise the difference is nil.

Betwen 64-bit and 32-bit the only difference is that:

1. No 32-bit firewalls work with 64-bit.
2. No 32-bit virus protection works with 64-bit.
3. Most 32-bit drivers do not work with 64-bit.

But if you are willing to use say, Grisoft's AVG w/firewall (64-bit compatible) or Nod32 for virus protection, you will be fine.

As for drivers, you can find many 64-bit drivers on PlanetAMD64. I am using a beta HP driver set for my printer. An Atheros driver for my D-link wireless card.

It can be done, and personally I think the benefits are worth it.

I have only had to reinstall XP64 once in just over a year. I have had 2 maybe 3 BSOD. in that same amount of time More often it is a hard crash :bday: from hardware failure than OS failure. A;so most (not all) spyware does not work on XP64, but most spyware removers work on XP64.Also bundle it with firefox and AVG, and you would be pretty must immune to most baddies.

IMHO XP64 is that last OS I will need until Vista has gone through rigorous Post-Beta testing, which should be sometime around 2009.

Vampiregabe said:
IMHO XP64 is that last OS I will need until Vista has gone through rigorous Post-Beta testing, which should be sometime around 2009.

I agree with vampiregabe but I've heard a lot of incompatibilities with a lot of software... I'm not sure if I want to test it on my main rig...

Back