• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 630's limit??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChRiZo

I'm running a intel 630 3.0ghz @ 3.45ghz normal overclock at only 1.43 volts. When i do make runs for benchmarks, i can get UP to 4.17ghz @ 1.57 volts... and no matter what i do I cannot break 4.2ghz, and 4.17 isn't stable on prime for not even a minute. Does it want more juice to the vcore? I'm thinking 1.57 is a lot, considering im still on air cooling and load went up to 59 degrees.

it also could be that your power supply isnt strong enough. what supply are you using? it also could be the motherboard.

I know its not my motherboard (P5P800), and im useing a 450watt psu

What brand/model PSU? Not every xxx watt PSU is equal. I think that is a decent OC to be honest. My 640 won't do over 4.2ghz without more voltage than I am willing to feed to it. Even then I don't think it has much more in it.

I don't know what type of cooling you are using, but as a *general* guideline 1.5v is considered *safe* on air and 1.55v on h20. Everyone has their own level of comfort though.

Not sure what the brand is, it came with my barebone, but its been working fine for 5 months.

My cooler is Blue Orb II with artic silver 5, its fine, but i dont feel confortable going over 1.55volts.. incase someone frys or anything else...

If that PSU came with your system and you are not even sure what brand/model it is...there is a large chance that your PSU is not up to the task of powering a power hungry overclocked CPU/GPU. Just because the PSU runs your PC doesn't mean it is not limiting your clocks or going to blow up on you one day. Possibly taking out some of your other hardware with it. I would look into a new PSU. Post here or in the PSU section what your budget it and I or someone will help you pick one that fits your needs. Larva is a good person to PM/ask about this matter as well.

Back