• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fanless Noctua D15 As Good As Wraith Prism Cooler/w fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MortalMan

Overclocked a Computer Submerged, In Horse Laxativ
So I'm working on my next PC build, and after replacing the wraith prism cooler that came with my 2700x with the NHD15 noctua cooler I noticed that the NHD15 can run fanless with similar results as the wraith prism with a fan.

I read that the wraith prism cooler was actually a decent cooler considering it comes stock with the processor. But I noticed that the fan actually makes an annoying winding sound while the processor is overclocked and underload. Also I was a bit disappointed by the machining quality of the cooler itself. (http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...raith-Prism-LED-Cooler?highlight=wraith+prism)

I had to order an AM4 mounting kit for the NHD15 cooler, so I just went ahead and installed the wraith prism cooler. I didn't want to wait another week to use my new PC. Can you blame me? I didn't get a golden silicon lottery winner 4.3ghz processor, but I was able to get 4.2ghz fairly easily with 1.45 volts with the stock wraith prism cooler.

After the mounting kit for the NHD15 cooler came in I removed the cooler from my old pc, and swapped it out with the wraith prism. Without a fan and without changing the overclock at all, I was able to boot right up and run for a while at 4.2ghz. Eventually after about 45 minutes of youtube/reddit/overclockerscom forums my pc hit that thermal limit and crashed. If you look at the pics you'll see that the entire PC is actually inside a metal container. The heat really had no where to go, and my laser thermometer was reading over 125F towards the top of the noctua heatsink shortly after the crash. Right now the CPU is overclocked to just 3.9ghz at 1.2volts and it runs fine even under load without a fan. Does this sound right to you guys?

Later I plan on turning this into an immersion cooled PC. Anyone here know anything about fans designed specifically to be used while immersed in oil? The Noctua fans work for a few months in oil, but eventually **** the bed. So I'm thinking of getting a water chiller (You know the chillers they use for indoor gardening?) Do you guys think that these chillers would have problems pumping mineral oil? Anyone have any suggestions on a device that could chill around 10 gallons of oil from maybe 50C to 35C?

https://ibb.co/jO6p78
https://ibb.co/mzrBLT

20180623_220709.jpg
20180623_220719.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really surprised at your results. Compared wit the Wraith Prism, the D15 is a monsterly big hunk of metal.

Just for your information, when we are talking thermals on this forum the convention is to use Celcius. The main reason for that is that the hardware manufacturers use that in their specs and also because this is an international community. Does your laser temp gun have a Celcius mode?

yeah man the d15 is one of the top performers out there. its up to you if you want to run it fanless at those speeds/voltage. personally i would have at least one fan on it running at a nice low rpm and set up on a curve for ocing/gaming. as for the type of chiller to use with oil? your better off asking in the extreme ocing section. being that most chillers are designed to run water i would think youll need really thin oil to avoid killing your pump. thats just an assumption tho, i dont have any experience with that kind of set up.

The NH-D15 appears to be the world's best heatsink right now. The 1500rpm NF-A15 fans it comes with, however, make some noise. For quietness, I would attach the LNA's that accompany those fans to get them down to about 1200rpm. The top finisher in my review here was a D15 with 3 A15's mounted on it at 1200rpm or less. The quietest finsher at -- 2dB over ambient -- was a D15 with two A15's running with their LNA's at 1173 and 1167 RPM. So you have done well.

Noctua makes fans that spin under water. I know because I have done this. Look for their IP67 fans. HOWEVER, the NF-A14 fans do not do as well as NF-A15's on heatsinks, probably because of the side-vents that make the 160x140 fans.

So, in conclusion, congratulate yourself for having the world's best heatsink and don't try to immerse your computer.

HOWEVER, the NF-A14 fans do not do as well as NF-A15's on heatsinks, probably because of the side-vents that make the 160x140 fans.

The A15 is the odd-shaped one of those. You sure you didn't mean that the other way around?

I too thought it would be A14@2000 > A15@1500. Didn't turn out that way. The side vents on the NH-A15 and the TY-147A make the difference.

Look at the difference in specs between the original TY series and the TY SQ models. True, they used different labs (personal communication) but the results hold up. The 160x140mm TY-140, TY-147A and the NF-A15 are better fans for heatsinks than the 140x140mm NF-A14 fans.

In any case, the results for the 5GHz system were all done this year. The 2xA14 runs were done on a D15 but not a D14 because the latter is EOL. I still have the NH-D14 I used for stock testing, and I still have the two 2000-rpm NF-A14's. When I have time today I'll dismount the U14S that's on there (as a temp) and mount the D14 with 2 A14's. I'll probably do the runs tomorrow (I give the TIM a day to adjust itself). If all goes well I should have the results up Tuesday.

Well, a few observations.

First, I have fan clips for the 140mm A14 and the D15. They won't fit the D14 . . . unless one stretches them. Tomorrow I'll do just that, but you will need 140mm fan clips. You will need a pair per fan. So if you use two fans get two pair; 3 fans, three pair.

Second, Noctua may make 140mm clips for the D14. If they do, get those.

Third, I still advise you to use A15 fans -- you can use the clips from your D14 on those.

Last, my temp heatsink was the D15, so I was able to compare fans.

Now to wait for the TIM to spread. You don't have to do this but I do -- for comparison purposes.

Back