• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My comp may never run win again.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Christoph

JAPH Senior
I've had a most of problems since I upgraded to an XP 1500+ on my win98/linux comp. I'd have reformatted the winblows HD a long time ago, but I don't know how to use Linux well enough to jump in like tht and get anything done.
My current problem, however takes the cake. After a random reset (4-7 per day), my comp was doing a registry check when it reset again. Now whenever I try to boot into Gate's vile software, it goes to the registry repair screen, restores an old registry and reesets. My best guess is that it's restoring a corrupted registry file and that it'ss go on in an infinite loop if I let it. If nobody knows how to fix this, can they direct me to an version of Linux that's easy to learn? Thanks.

Yes Mandrake is a very basic Linux..

I've had that problem with the Windows Registry .. When it comes up juss alt tab and end task it.. Eventually it will go away me thinks, or get a copy of Win2k and install that sucker in!

I don't want to upgrade. It's way too expensive based on my past experience. Besides, I eventually want to use mostly Linux and only windoze when there's something that Linux won't run.
About the registry thing, the DOS version comes up before windows has started loading. Thanks, though.
It's mostly about windows and its effects on my comp, so I figured that it was win problem. Also, I didn't want to pollute the alt OS forum with a win problem.

also is it possible for you to get ahold of windows2000 or xp? r something that utilizes ntfs? its a lot better than 98, IMO of course... just wondering....

FDISK and format with a boot disk, then reinstall Windows, and learn Linux in the meanwhile. If you need a boot disk, I can send you the files.

Man, what did you do to that thing? I have never had any problem anywhere near that.

Random resets? What does that mean?

Yes dude.. a format is what you really need because I doubt your going to do stuff on a screwed up operating system..

Do you have two partitions or a burner?

Backup your stuff..

Or put all your needed files on your the other partition while formating and clean everything and try to use a NTFS based partition with Win 2000 or Windows XP.

I'll try backing up reformatting. Forutunately, my Linux HD doesn't have anything other than the OS on it, so it will become my backup.
2k/XP isn't an option as my only access to them would be warez or buying them, and I don't like either opition. If I were going to use one indefinately, I'd buy 2k, but I'm switching to Linux ASAP.
Thanks.

flounder43 said:
Man, what did you do to that thing? I have never had any problem anywhere near that.

Random resets? What does that mean?

That means its performing within design specs.

eobard said:

That means its performing within design specs.

That means the comp pretends that I pressed the reset button when it feels like playing a funny joke on me. <sarcasm>ha ha ha</sarcasm>

What's the best way to copy all the files from one HD to another in DOS? xcopy?

Last edited:
It also means that your overclock is no longer stable. What are your temps/settings? I suspect that you may be just beyond stable and may need to increase voltage or decrease FSB speed, depending on settings and temps.

Oh, and your registry is likely corrupt and possibly your HDD too.

Been there and done that.

Put up some numbers and let's see if we can help you get stable again.

I'm not OCed at all and my vcore is at 1.75. Right now I'm reinstalling Win98. It'd still be nice to eliminate those pesky random resets. When I get it working again I'll try upping the vcore. Does 1.85 sound good for an A7M266? That's the max until I find some time for a voltage mod.

IdeaMagnate said:

That means the comp pretends that I pressed the reset button when it feels like playing a funny joke on me. <sarcasm>ha ha ha</sarcasm>

That's what I said, "performing within design specs", we are talking about windows right?

First Linux distro I ever used was Corel's OpenLinux, not a bad distro at all, especially for first timers. The installation is beyond easy. I had tried RedHat 6.1 before that and ran into trouble correctly setting up the hard drive mounts during installation, but OpenLinux doesn't have any of the complexity.

Ran it for about a month on my spare box and gave up, Linux is just too hard for this Windows boy to learn.

~RT~

IdeaMagnate, I've heard of that problem (registry self test), and I've read about a solution but very quickly forgot it - it never occured to me. PM me, I hope I won't forget to ask a buddy of mine to eMail me that thing. I think it had something to do with sysedit...

RedneckTech said:
First Linux distro I ever used was Corel's OpenLinux, not a bad distro at all, especially for first timers. The installation is beyond easy. I had tried RedHat 6.1 before that and ran into trouble correctly setting up the hard drive mounts during installation, but OpenLinux doesn't have any of the complexity.

Ran it for about a month on my spare box and gave up, Linux is just too hard for this Windows boy to learn.

~RT~

Same here. I installed different distros, and all of them didn't install correctly or something, I couldN't install anything on that machine !

It just sounds to me like you have a screwed up machine.

The only problems I've ever come across in Windows has been a hardware or user error. This doesn't count my Packard Bell that ran Windows 95 ;)

Back