• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Broadband ISP's - looking for a good GAMING ISP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

horrgakx

Hi guys. I've moved house and am looking for a broadband ISP that is known for low-latency (and possibly low contention ratio) for gaming. Speed minimum 2Mb.

Cable is not available in my area and I don't want to go with a 'mass consumer market' ISP like TalkTalk or BT or AOL etc...

Any suggestions? I've heard Plus.Net are good - can that be confirmed?

Thanks,
Dave

horrgakx said:
Hi guys. I've moved house and am looking for a broadband ISP that is known for low-latency (and possibly low contention ratio) for gaming. Speed minimum 2Mb.

Cable is not available in my area and I don't want to go with a 'mass consumer market' ISP like TalkTalk or BT or AOL etc...

Any suggestions? I've heard Plus.Net are good - can that be confirmed?

Thanks,
Dave

You better cross your fingers for DSL availability... You can simply go to the provider's website and check for availability.

Dialup is a no no... and Satellite is your #3 choice if DSL and Cable can't be done.

There is no ISP 'known' for low latency. It depends on your ISP, location, speed, and distance from the switch. You've basically got 2 choices: cable or DSL, as Sat/dial-up both have high latency. Since you don't want cable, check out who provides DSL in your area.

If you're really lucky you could get FIOS, but it's very limited at this point. They provide fiber to the curb, so latency should be low. Check out the website and see if it's in your area.

Going by the fact that your stating BT and Plus.NET not to mention talk talk

Im assuming that you discussing English ISP :D

as such I would suggest reading www.adslguide.org.uk

personally speaking I would not use any of the ones you mentioned

mdameron said:
Dialup is a no no... and Satellite is your #3 choice if DSL and Cable can't be done.

Unless you download a lot, then dialup would be preferable to Satellite. Pings with Satellite are even worse than with dialup, due to the distance the signal has to travel.

Aslan said:
Unless you download a lot, then dialup would be preferable to Satellite. Pings with Satellite are even worse than with dialup, due to the distance the signal has to travel.

Yes, if you are a gamer, sat is definitely out of the question. Very high ping times due to the signal having to travel 45,000 miles round trip before it even connects into the web. And then you have the same 45,000 mile round trip for a response back.

I heard before that you could pay Verizon something like $15/month on top of a service plan to get internet service through a cell phone. It uses minutes, and the speed is about 2x full speed dialup.

You still have to buy a cable to connect to the computer.

It appears you have ADSL in your area. I personally runVerizon Business DSL 3MB\768, I consistenly run a ping of 20ms or lower. Sometimes it'll go up to 50ms for like a second. Satellite has horrible pings to due the fact the the satellite is in space. But honestly if satellite is all you have in your area, get it!

Thanks. Never heard of Verizon (prices are in American dollars so don't think they're in the UK?). And 2x dialup will be nowhere near good enough. Perhaps that would be good for mobile office working - which is why the topic title suggests an ISP good enough for gaming.

Maybe check ads around your area, if you aren't eligible for DSL or Cable maybe there is an ISP that offers Wireless internet. If it is setup correctly, wireless can have a low enough latancy to game on and is better then Dialup.

You want a good ISP? Check and see if RCN is in your area.For $44.95/month they gave me 10000 down/ 800 upload.They do not colse or lock any ports from being used the way some ISP's do.Also, they usually have offers where its $20/month for the first 6 months or something like that.CHeck it out---BEST ISP I have ever had!

EDI: Oops...didnt see the "no cable in your area" bit...but I'll leave the info up for those who do have access to RCN.Just make sure not to go with satellite service, as the latency is up and down all the time, and its horrible for gaming-With satellite, you'll see your latency in games at or above 150ms(and thats a good latency for satellite)

Last edited:
Back