• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for advice on a new build - high performance rig [gaming, coding, UK]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Paraselene

Registered
Hey guys,

Looking to build a new high performance rig - It's my main workhorse machine so it'll be built for gaming, but I'll also be doing a lot of web development/security/testing related tasks with it, such as running multiple VMs, image editing, etc. I'm looking for best bang for buck, but I'm not really budget constrained. The final requirement is absolutely minimal sound footprint with no LEDs active (it's installed in a bedroom).

Budget: £3000
OSes: Dual boot: Arch Linux/Windows 10 Professional (which I'll need to purchase)
Monitors: Currently 1, but looking to have a dual monitor setup again. Already own an old Iiyama Prolite E2607WS, which will become the secondary monitor. Considering ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q as replacement main monitor.
Case: open to suggestion, but am considering a Dark Base Pro 900. Should have great sound proofing and be easy to access, LEDs won't be running so that's not a factor.

New components I've already sourced:
* EVGA SuperNova P2 850 W Platinum Fully Modular Power Supply Unit
* MSI GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G OC. 1920 Cuda Core PCIE 3.0 8 GB GDDR5 256-Bit Graphics Card

Reason for upgrade:
Previous PC has given up the ghost.

No peripherals needed, although I might consider a new gaming mouse. It'll need SSD drives and possibly a single fast storage drive for the games, but I keep most of my media on a NAS. Any ideas/contributions greatfully received. :)

Last edited:
Can you link some vendors you might use? We can suggest all kinds of components but if they are not available to you or outlandishly priced in the UK it will be a waste of time.

As you have a good budget:

1. Increase GPU to 1080 or 1080 Ti (depends on your gaming resolution)
2. Look for a MB that has an M.2 With 4 PCIe lanes dedicated. Then slap in a Samsung 950 or 960 pro.
3. For additional SSDs, I like Samsung as well. As your 950/960 pro will be blazing fast, you can get away with an Evo here (I run a 512 GB M.2 950 pro, and a 2 TB 850 Evo)

Your range of tasks suggests lots of RAM so I would get 32gb of DDR4 3200 (2x16gb as opposed to 4x8?).

Do you intend to overclock the CPU or will you be content with stock settings?

Do you want 4k monitors or will dual 1080p suffice?

When do you need to have this done by? The new AMD Ryzen series is an attractive value compared to Intel's offerings right now, particularly if the emphasis is on workstation tasks. AMD has also improved their gaming performance but still a little behind Intel Skylake stuff. Maybe 7-10% is what I read. With Ryzne, however, their are early adopter issues with motherboards and bios which should be improved in a couple of three months I would think.

I would suggest at GTX 1080ti.

Do you intend to overclock the CPU or will you be content with stock settings?
I favour stability over performance, but I could be tempted if the payoff was worth it :)

Do you want 4k monitors or will dual 1080p suffice?
I'm not really looking at 4k monitors - the price point and cost in FPS doesn't seem quite right yet. Considering a high end monitor like the Acer Predator X34, so that would be 3,440 x 1,440 @ 144hz

When do you need to have this done by?
Ideally as soon as possible, as I'm basically stuck with a sub-par laptop at the moment - I'd be willing to hold off a while, but a couple of months is probably out of the question. I am really tempted by the Ryzen though - for the kinds of tasks I do and the price point it's at, it does seem to be the smarter purchase.

And thanks for the recommendations, JrClocker - all 3 points sound like the way to go.

Back