• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Card burn ins?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ALiEN2953

i know you can improve your CPU overclock by running a burn in program. does anyone know if this might work for my video card too?

my video card does get pretty damn hot though, 95C on ATitool's heatup and i don't want to kill it but do want to get a better OC.

Last edited:
if your runing the stock cooling you better upgrade it to a vf-700 or vf-900. you should not be running 1.4v on stock cooler, most i would say to run is 1.3v.
so down clock and get better cooling or you will kill that card.

95c!!! Damn thats hot!
I actually had a card do that once because when I put the aftermarket heatsink on I forgot to plug it in and I didn't notice until the textures in BF2 started turning into a wierd colored checkerboard pattern.
I exited the game and checked the templogger and it had gotten up to around that temp.
The card turned out to be fine but that was only for 10 minutes.

could someone else with a 7900gt test their temps with ati tool because it may be giving higher than regular gaming.

oh and a little off topic but is conductive pen removable with isopryopal alcohol?

GET BETTER COOLING ASAP!!!!! 95*C is WAY WAY WAY TO HOT....... hell i didnt like the load temps on my 6600gt of 68*C so i poped a p4 hs on it.... took her down to 45*C max load.

i have had 2 7900gt's, both never got over 70c underload @550/1.8ghz.
the second killed it self YAY! it was not oced when it died, well atleast now evga has FIXED cards to send out for rma's.

i think the heatsink must not be mounted right or something, i "borrowed" a multimeter from school so i can check if the volt mod is woking right

ALiEN2953 said:
i think the heatsink must not be mounted right or something, i "borrowed" a multimeter from school so i can check if the volt mod is woking right

I have my brother's 7900GT in my case with a stock cooling HSF on it running at 1.4 volts and it sure as hell would never get to 95°!! Either they messed up the HSF install on it or you have incredibly bad ventilation in your case. His card idles at 54-55 and operates at 59-60 under load. This is using the Nvidia tool panel in my display options. Why are you using ATI tool to look at your temperature when Nvidia already has one built into the driver?

I modded my case to have a fan in the window/side of it blowing directly onto the video cards to aid in ventilation. If you do not have one at this location I STRONGLY recommend modding your case for one if you are going to overclock. It's not terribly difficult to do if you have a dremel.

case02.jpg

Back